Coloring/tinting Candy Melts?

Decorating By kello Updated 25 Jun 2009 , 1:48pm by kello

kello Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 1:18pm
post #1 of 6

I tried searching for this answer, but nothing came up.
I noticed in the Wilton books they use "candy melts" food coloring. (I think they are oil based.) Can I use the regular Wilton colors or Americolors? Does it make a difference?
I'm new to using candy melts.

5 replies
Kiddiekakes Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 1:21pm
post #2 of 6

You can only use oil based candy colors to tint the white candy melts...Wilton makes a few sets and chefmaster makes candy colors as well.You can't use water based colors on oil based candy or it will seize.

2SchnauzerLady Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 1:24pm
post #3 of 6

I used the regular Wilton color to tint candy melts that I had mixed with corn syrup to make a modeling clay, and initially it looked liked it seized - but once I kneaded it, it came out smooth.

kello Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 1:31pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks, but I will have to pour the melts into a mold.....guess I'm off the the store!

SUELA Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 1:38pm
post #5 of 6

Hey Kello! Not only are we both in Ottawa area (I'm technically in Kanata) My b-day is Aug 7!

Michael's has the candy colors....not sure about artistic cake design or Bulk Barn.....but Michaels and BB have the colored candy melts as well.

kello Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 1:48pm
post #6 of 6

Suela! Hey neighbour! I'm technically near Carleton Place....most people don't know wear that is. icon_smile.gif
I have not noticed the colors at Bulk Barn, (which is were I usually go, but I'm in need of flesh color candy melts) but may check there first anyway. Michael's is a treck for me, but hey, it's an excuse to go which is always fun.
Have not heard of artistic cake design....where is that?
Thanks for your help

Quote by @%username% on %date%