Advice On How To Make 6-Pack Of Beer. Each Beer Is A Cake

Decorating By renee2007 Updated 14 Jul 2009 , 2:39am by renee2007

renee2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
renee2007 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 12:15pm
post #1 of 28

Hi, I need advice on how to do each beer out of cake. should I try to bake in a soup can, or stack a sheet cake and cut out the size for each beer. they also want a pudding filling. any advice or ideas would be great. I'm also planning to cover each one with fondant. thank you in advance. icon_smile.gif

27 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 2:14pm
post #2 of 28

You can bake in soda or beer cans, cleaned and trimmed across the top (heavy shears will cut them for you). Grease well before using.

Please take pics as you do them. I would love to see the process, too.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 2:19pm
post #3 of 28

Ive used soap cans to make soft drinks...way before I knew about CC...just wash it and grease it really good...good luck and YES...would love to see how yours turn out.

are you doing them in B./C or fondant when finished?

caketherapy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caketherapy Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 2:26pm
post #4 of 28

You can make sheet cakes out of pound cake and when cooled you can just use a round biscuit or cookie cutter and stack them, iced in between layers.

renee2007 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 4:57pm
post #5 of 28

thank you soooo much everyone for your advice. I'll take some pics and post when done. it's for july 10th. anyone know what color to use for a siver fondant? should I buy some silver luster dust and paint it on???? the beer can is Bud Lite. thanks

cupcakeco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeco Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 3:45am
post #6 of 28

I recently acheived a silvery-hue by tinting white fondant a verry light grey (using just a tiny spot of black) and then dry brushed with silver luster dust.

I assume that the more you use, the more 'silvery' it gets. And the reason I used a similarly-colored base fondant was to avoid the 'streakiness' colored luster dust can have when painted onto bright white.

Attached is a pic of the cake, you can see that the 'rim' of the tire is where the silver was. NOTE: the spokes were skewers wrapped in aluminum foil-- they are NOT luster dusted!

HTH.
LL

renee2007 Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 11:39am
post #7 of 28

thank you cupcakeco, I think I'll try that. icon_smile.gif btw, your tire looks awesome!!! thumbs_up.gif

cupcakeco Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 1:32pm
post #8 of 28

Heheh thanks. Good luck on your six-pack! Can't wait to see pics. thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 1:43pm
post #9 of 28

Wow cupcakeco, your tire looks great?? My son would love a cake like this and the spokes covered in foil is a fantastic idea! Good job.

jimandmollie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jimandmollie Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 1:48pm
post #10 of 28

HA!

I knew I saw this tutorial and I found it!

Here ya go!

http://sugarbloomcupcakes.blogspot.com/2009/05/tall-cupcakes-tutorial.html

Hope that helps!

renee2007 Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 2:40pm
post #11 of 28

thanks for that website. thumbs_up.gif

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 2:57pm
post #12 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimandmollie

HA!

I knew I saw this tutorial and I found it!

Here ya go!

http://sugarbloomcupcakes.blogspot.com/2009/05/tall-cupcakes-tutorial.html

Hope that helps!

Great minds think alike! icon_biggrin.gif Sugarblooms tutorial was the first thing I thought of too. lol But them I thought the soup can would be more the right size. So why not bake in the soup can and use Sugarblooms technique to create the core for the filling?

As for the silver look, I did the same thing with the grey icing thumbs_up.gif but then "painted" the nu-silver luster dust on to achieve a shiny look. http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1103733

Good luck and can't wait to see the finished product.

cupcakeco Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 3:06pm
post #13 of 28

Mariu, you wouldn't BELIEVE how easy it is to create those spokes. I tried fondant-- too lumpy. GP-- wasn't happening. Just when I thought I was at my wit's-end, a flash of genius! Probably the proudest part of my cake, if you couldn't tell. icon_wink.gif

Anywho, you take regular kebob skewers, the thin kind, and wrap them with a strip of aluminum foil approx 3/4" wide, shiny side IN, on a diagonal starting at the top. Going at a diagonal allows the aluminum foil to overlap just enough and have the whole strip make it to the bottom. Holding and spinning the top of the stick with your thumb and forefinger while holding the aluminum taut as it spirals to the bottom makes for the best result. Then, I used a teeensy bit of trans scotch tape to secure, and done!

When the time came to use them, I snipped them with some scissors to size, for the ones that didn't need to go all the way across the cake.

BTW-- sorry to hijack!

renee2007 Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 3:43pm
post #14 of 28

cupcakepro, no problem, I love hearing how everyone does different decorating techniques. Parable, cool cake, love the color. so, can you use the dry nusilver or do you have to use it more as a paint to achieve the color?? icon_confused.gif

Parable Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 6:33pm
post #15 of 28

renee, the luster dust can be used either way but painting gives it the shiny effect. Try it both ways on some sample icing on wax paper first and see which one you like the best. I use something close to Everclear to make the paint but you can use vodka just as easily. Everclear just dries faster than vodka.

renee2007 Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 7:08pm
post #16 of 28

thanks for the response. I think I will try it both ways and see which one gives me the best bud lite silver icon_lol.gif

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 11:02pm
post #17 of 28

that website with the tutorial was great. who would have thought. icon_smile.gif

renee2007 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 3:06pm
post #18 of 28

I finished the 6-pack of beer!!!!yay... it was harder than I thought. thanks everyone for the advice. you can see it in my pics. I did a search for baking in soup cans and marialovescakes had a great thread with pics. here it is...http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-10273-soup.html hopefully that link worked. I would have done pics but mine looked the same as hers. icon_smile.gif

renee2007 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 3:07pm
post #19 of 28

I finished the 6-pack of beer!!!!yay... it was harder than I thought. thanks everyone for the advice. you can see it in my pics. I did a search for baking in soup cans and marialovescakes had a great thread with pics. here it is...http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-10273-soup.html hopefully that link worked. I would have done pics but mine looked the same as hers. icon_smile.gif

renee2007 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 3:08pm
post #20 of 28

renee2007 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 3:11pm
post #21 of 28

oops... icon_redface.gif sorry about the duplicates

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 3:17pm
post #22 of 28

Your cake came out AWESOME! Thanks for sharing how you did this. Did you cut the top off the can and then cut down the can to get the cake out?

renee2007 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 3:20pm
post #23 of 28

I cut the top off of the can and then just greased it really good and the cake slid out....after a little bit of shaking icon_wink.gif

Parable Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 4:50pm
post #24 of 28

BRAVO! thumbs_up.gif

Too bad I don't like beer icon_sad.gif .....however, I love chocolate cake icon_biggrin.gif

woodruffbn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodruffbn Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 1:37am
post #25 of 28

WOW! That looks unreal!!! Er.. Well... It looks awesome and very realistic! LOL. So here's my question, how did you get the edible image of the BL can? I mean, you can't scan a can... icon_confused.gif And how did you get the cans to shine? Can you put luster dust over the edible image?

renee2007 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 1:53am
post #26 of 28

woodruffbn, thats exactly what I did.lol. I (or rather my husband) cut the can down the side and layed it out flat on my scanner/edible image printer. it came out bright, I didn't use anything on it. I did it first on a frosting sheet but all my frosting sheets kept sticking so I finally did it on wafer/rice paper. thumbs_up.gif

woodruffbn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodruffbn Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 2:08am
post #27 of 28

Wow! lol!! I would have never guessed that! Thanks for sharing. I love this cake. I've seen quite a few of these beer cakes and your cans look the most realitic by far!

renee2007 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 2:39am
post #28 of 28

thank you icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%