Cake Tasting Question?

Business By Destinys_Delights Updated 28 Jun 2009 , 1:30am by Annabakescakes

Destinys_Delights Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Destinys_Delights Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 11:25am
post #1 of 11

I have a question for home bakerys that cannot have customers come to there house. How do you handle cake tastings, also any tips on what to do at a wedding tasting and what not to do icon_biggrin.gif , also silly question but how do you not waste a lot of cake if they will only be eating small slices/ I use box cake mix
Thanks!!

10 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 1:07pm
post #2 of 11

As far as wasted cake, I bake once for every 9 samplings. I bake an 8" square, then cut it into 9 squares. Place the whole thing in a ziplok bag and freeze. Then pull out one square of each flavor (I use white, choc and red velvet for samplings) to thaw. I put them in another ziplok bag to thaw, so they retain their moisture.

I put these squares of cake on a tray with dollops of icings and fillings. The couple then do a big mix-n-match to see what flavor combos they like.

The square of cake is perfect for 2-4 people (and there's usually cake left over. People just don't really need 3 or 4 full size cupcakes to sample a cake. I mean, that's a LOT of cake to shove down your stomach in one sitting! icon_eek.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 1:11pm
post #3 of 11

I have several "deviled egg" plates - the little ovals for the eggs are perfect for the samples of fillings and icings - I print out labels to go with them to identify what is what. (you can arrange them alphabetically or if you are a visual person, arrange them according to color!) icon_wink.gif

I have all of my tastings here in my home - so it is pretty easy for me to have it all ready for the appointments.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 1:15pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

I have several "deviled egg" plates - the little ovals for the eggs are perfect for the samples of fillings and icings -

Wow, that's a GREAT idea!!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 1:29pm
post #5 of 11

Indy - I gotta tell ya, I am setting here with a big ol' grin on my face - I actually do something that you didn't think about! thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif (Cuz you are my here on here!!)

sambugjoebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sambugjoebear Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 12:44am
post #6 of 11

I bake from home and have tastings at their house. I bake my cakes in mini loaf pans (freeze extra cakes for later). I then get a 12" foil covered cake board and place 4 thin slices of each cake (4 flavors) in a giant "X" on the board. I then fill 4 oz solo cups halfway with fillings (4 fillings). I place these in between the cake flavors. I then fill another solo cup with my plain vanilla BC and place that in the very center of the board. Place little cubes of homemade MMF with toothpicks in them by the filling cups. This fits perfectly in my cakedome icon_smile.gif so it's easy to travel with.

I did my first consultation this past Saturday and they loved the set up. They really dug in too! There was some left and they were happy that they got to keep the leftovers (like I really wanted them!). icon_smile.gif

They were happy that I came to them too- I think it helps make them more comfortable, plus I don't have to disrupt my family's everyday life.

Ladiesofthehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladiesofthehouse Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 2:18am
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambugjoebear

I bake from home and have tastings at their house. I bake my cakes in mini loaf pans (freeze extra cakes for later). I then get a 12" foil covered cake board and place 4 thin slices of each cake (4 flavors) in a giant "X" on the board. I then fill 4 oz solo cups halfway with fillings (4 fillings). I place these in between the cake flavors. I then fill another solo cup with my plain vanilla BC and place that in the very center of the board. Place little cubes of homemade MMF with toothpicks in them by the filling cups. This fits perfectly in my cakedome icon_smile.gif so it's easy to travel with.

This is a great idea!

nikki72905 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki72905 Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 2:40am
post #8 of 11

Such fantastic ideas for the think tank! As I continue to gather information so that one day my husband and I may start our own bakery...

Destinys_Delights Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Destinys_Delights Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 6:53pm
post #9 of 11

Thank you for the great ideas, my first tasting is next wednesday. Hope it goes well. icon_biggrin.gif

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 7:02pm
post #10 of 11

I've just started getting cake "feelers" from people, and came up with a great idea. I doubled a recipe, filled my pans, and had some left over. So, I used my mini ball pan to make 5 individual cakes. Two are gone already (taste testers for me icon_biggrin.gif ), but the other three are double wrapped, labeled, and in a freezer. I like the shape better than cupcakes, and they look like snowballs!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 1:30am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

I have several "deviled egg" plates - the little ovals for the eggs are perfect for the samples of fillings and icings - I print out labels to go with them to identify what is what. (you can arrange them alphabetically or if you are a visual person, arrange them according to color!) icon_wink.gif

I have all of my tastings here in my home - so it is pretty easy for me to have it all ready for the appointments.

I do this too, it is really pretty this way!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%