Wasc Questions

Decorating By Rthrbswmng Updated 25 Jun 2009 , 9:44pm by JanH

Rthrbswmng Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 6:43am
post #1 of 6

I'm still relatively new to cake decorating and I just made WASC for the first time (love the taste), but I'm having some issues and I do not know if its the recipe, my oven, or I'm doing something wrong. I used a 8 in pan that is 3 in deep. I sprayed it with my usual pam and put the mix in. After an hour of baking at 325, the middle wasn't done what so ever. I had to bake it an addional 20 minutes before the knife came out clean. Then the whole bottom stuck to the pan (never had this happen before except when I tried to use oil/flour to grease the pan). By the time I got the cake out of the pan, most of the sides fell onto my counter so I had scrap it. So I decided to try again, thinking I might have not greased the pan well enough or set the oven high enough. I moved it up to 335, and still had to bake about 1 hr and 20 minutes (usually 55 is enough). Some of the bottom still stuck to the pan, but I might be able to get around it with a little extra filling for that layer instead of throwing away that cake too. Am I doing something wrong or could I be doing something differently? I thought of possibly adding in a greased flower nail as I read some people do, but thought of that halfway into baking the second cake. Would this help the center to cook more throughly? I also thought of trying to make bake even strips with wet paper towels and tin foil, but never have tried this before. Thanks for any suggestions someone may be able to give. I want to keep making this cake, but not if its going to cause such frustration.

5 replies
paulstonia Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 7:00am
post #2 of 6

I wouldn't think you would need a heating core for an 8 inch. I do always use bake even strips, but mostly to get a level cake. Are you letting it cool long enough before you flip it out? I'm up late baking and would really like to go to bed and I just did that exact thing. Too anxious to get it out and start the last one baking and part of the bottom stuck. Let it cool about 10 minute before you flip. If you wait too long it will stick too. I never use 3inch pans so maybe that is why they are taking so long to bake. You have to be careful with wasc, I've read that if it pulls away from the sides it's over baked. Good luck.

JanH Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 7:04am
post #3 of 6

Hi and Welcome to CC, Rthrbswmng. icon_smile.gif

Decoding CC acronyms:

There were two basic versions of WASC, but now there are too many variations to count.... Don't know which one you used, but the answers to all your questions can be found in the following thread.

Everything you need to know to make, decorate and assemble tiered, stacked and layer cakes:

The above superthread has popular CC recipes for American b/c's, fondant and doctored cake mix (WASC, with and without oil) - and so much more.

Wesha Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 3:12pm
post #4 of 6

Maybe you need to add some flour to prevent the cake from sticking to the pan. I have never baked in 3 inch pans, so I can not help you on that.

Rthrbswmng Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 4:22pm
post #5 of 6

Ah, yes. I should have included the recipe since there are so many variations and this could possibly be the problem. I got mine here (http://www.recipezaar.com/White-Almond-Sour-Cream-Wedding-Cake-69630).

JanH Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 9:44pm
post #6 of 6

I make Rebecca Sutterby's WASC cake all the time. (Although kakeladi's original is also very good.)

According to Wilton a 3" deep 8" round should bake 55-60 minutes at 350F. As I also bake at 325F, the lower temperature difference does require longer baking so 20 mins. more isn't unusual.

Also, how much batter did you use? Wilton recommends 5 cups, if you used more, the layer will take longer to bake.

I would recommend:

1. Purchasing an oven thermometer to make sure your oven temperature is accurate.

2. Use pan grease (recipe in above superthread) and line pan with parchment paper.

3. Use a greased/floured inverted flower nail.

4. Use bake-even strips.

5. Don't test for doneness until the cake has baked at least 3/4 of the time given on the Wilton cake preparation chart (even though you'll be baking at 325F not 350F).

From my experience with this recipe, I don't start testing for doneness until after the maximum time given for 350F.....

6. Don't test with a knife, use either a toothpick, or wooden skewer. The WASC cake (using white cake mixes) will have a golden brown top and fill the room with a wonderful aroma when done. The sides will also pull away from the pan slightly.

5. Cool in pan for 10 mins., turn out onto cooling rack. Flip again, using another cooling rack to support cake layer and let cool completely hump side up. (If there are wide spaces between tines on your cooling racks, you might want to cover them with parchment or wax paper to help prevent deep grooves in your cake layers.)

If the sides of the cake look like they're stuck to the cake pan, run a spatula around the edge to loosen cake layer.

As long as we're covering all bases.... Here's how I mix the WASC cake:
(No scoop and drag!.)

I also have 3" pans, but they take so long to bake I usually make two 2" layers instead....

Quote by @%username% on %date%