Help!!!

Decorating By shadowcat1501 Updated 25 Jun 2009 , 5:35am by shadowcat1501

shadowcat1501 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 5:08am
post #1 of 8

I need any ideas on creative ways to cover a cake. I have a cake that is due tomorrow and I've ran out of buttercream icing. I don't have enough fondant to cover the whole cake and I don't have money to go out and buy BC ingredients tonight. Luckily, I did have enough to crumb coat the cake. I wouldn't be so concerned, but you can see parts of the cake showing through. Mostly around the edges. Any ideas would be appreciated.

7 replies
andiesweet Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 5:12am
post #2 of 8

could you make chocolate ganache?

mandyloo Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 5:13am
post #3 of 8

do you have chocolate that you could melt and drizzle? Fresh fruit?

Lelka Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 5:14am
post #4 of 8

Make your own fondant! I make it all the time! From scratch if you have gelatin, and corn syrup. I heard that marshmallow fondant is pretty easy to make too. How about ganash? Or may be chocolate curls around the sides? Or may be just wrap fondant that you do have around the cake and place something cute on top, like flowers or figurine?

KacieMeredith Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 5:16am
post #5 of 8

Do you have enough fondant for stripes or polka dots. IDK if that would go with your theme for the cake...if not atleast here is a bump

nelikate Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 5:17am
post #6 of 8

Do you have chocolate & Cream? if so you can make ganache & cover.
If not do you have icing sugar? 2 cups icing sugar 2 tables spoons butter melted & hot water mixed until the consistancy you want for spreading makes a quick icing for a simple covering. Then cover with sprinkles, lollies, anything you have in your kitchen.

Hopefully I have given you some ideas. If not, I wish you all the luck with finding something that works.

Nel.

Rylan Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 5:18am
post #7 of 8

It's really hard to tell if we don't know what ingredients you have. Do you have chocolate, shortening, powered sugar, cream cheese? condensed milk, or milk in hand?

shadowcat1501 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 5:35am
post #8 of 8

I appreciate all your help. I may use a combination of a few of the ideas here. I have some chocolate frosting that I made a few days ago, but it was a little thin. I have about 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar that I might could add to that to help cover the sides up. The top's not too bad. The cake is for a church picnic tomorrow. Silly me, I didn't check my cabinets before I started. That's one lesson that I will certainly add to my "learn as you go" book. Again, thank you all for your help. You guys here at Cake Central are just wonderful!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%