Would You Use "ready Made Gumpaste", Or Tylose Add

Decorating By MrsNancyB1 Updated 28 Jun 2009 , 1:57am by sugarcheryl

MrsNancyB1 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 5:08am
post #1 of 6

I'm looking to make a teddy bear figure for a birthday cake topper.

Should I use ready made gumpaste (ie the one made by Wilton) or add Tylose to my MMF?

FTR, I don't think the bear will be eaten...it's primarily for decorative purposes.

TIA!

5 replies
Rylan Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 5:14am
post #2 of 6

I don't have expereince with homemade fondant so I don't know. But here is my input--I prefer a mixture of fondant and gumpaste.

CakeMommyTX Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 5:22am
post #3 of 6

I use tylose with my mmf, the harder and faster I need it too dry the more tylose I add. I like tylose because I only have to make what I need, so I don't have any un-used and dried out gumpaste laying around.

gloria Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 1:51am
post #4 of 6

I too add the tylose to my MMF. However, use bits at a time, keeping the rest in a sealed freezer bag.
If you find if hardening too fast add some fondant to it.

MrsNancyB1 Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 4:13pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks everyone! For cost purposes, I just decided to buy a small pack of gumpaste, and add fondant to it if it gets too dry while I'm molding it. The cake decorating shop over here only sold a large container of tylose for $11, and I didn't want to spend all of that if I'm just going to use a small amount.

Thanks again! icon_biggrin.gif

sugarcheryl Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 1:57am
post #6 of 6

It's a matter of preference and cost. If I have the extra money and I push for time I buy it already made. If I have tylose already I just add to my fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%