2"x 4"x 3" Party-Size Servings-- Too Big?

Decorating By cupcakeco Updated 25 Jun 2009 , 7:36pm by AKA_cupcakeshoppe

cupcakeco Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 5:05am
post #1 of 17

I'm trying to hash out the number of servings for one 8x3 and one 12x3 (rounds). The cake needs to have at least enough for 20 servings, and I tried to make a cutting guide. The way I worked it out, I wind up with 24 2"x4"x3" party-size servings. I call them party size because they definitely aren't wedding! For the same size cakes wedding, the serving number is in the 70s.

The cake is for a baby shower and I just think that 1X2X3 is just too small. Also, when cut in 'wedges', I get the same amount-- 24 servings.

Attached is my diagram.... someone tell me if it looks alright? The top circle represents an 8"x3" round and the bottom a 12X3 round. As you can see the 2 inch 'strips' are represented and the slices cut from there. Does anyone think that a party/shower serving this size is too big?

Also and if it's not too much.... this will be a 2d baby covered in fondant with RK headphones and a mic, and possibly covering the board in fondant draping. How much would you charge?

Thanks so much!!

16 replies
saffronica Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 6:52am
post #2 of 17

Uh...those slices are huge! I know wedding slices are on the smaller side, but these are three times that size. Just for reference: I served seven people with a 6" cake (just under 3-1/2" tall) at a birthday party tonight, and we had over a fourth of it left. Admittedly, some of the pieces were small (for young children), but it could easily have served eight or more adults a decent serving. An 8" cake is 78% larger than a 6", so I would think you could serve at least 12. A 12" cake is more than twice as big as an 8", so I would think it alone would serve at least 30 fairly large pieces. Are your cake sizes set, or could you downsize? Maybe a 6" and a 9" or 10"? It would still give you two tiers, and you'd have 20 servings with cake to spare.

Juds2323 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 7:16am
post #3 of 17

I agree those slices are HUGE. I think a more realistic size is 2x2x3 if you want a larger than wedding slice. I did a cake for my cousin's graduation party last year and cut the slices 1x2x4 and it's plenty of cake. People actually eat the whole slice vs 1/2 sitting on the plate. Are they having lunch at the shower? Depending on the time of day and what they are serving could effect the amount eaten LOL.

indydebi Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 10:35am
post #4 of 17

A 2x4x3 is 24 cubic inches of cake. A standard wilton wedding piece is 1x2x4 = 8 cubic inches. Those are 3 times the size, so if that's what you're going by, I hope you're charging 3 times as much (i.e. wedding is $3/serving, so your 2x4x3 should be $9/serving.)

Here is a pc of a 1x2x4 piece of cake. People hear "one inch" and they think "paper thin".....it's not. http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1156785

I could eat a 2x4x3 piece of cake if it was the only food I had all day long. But at a shower? Anticipate a lot of wasted cake.

-K8memphis Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 11:07am
post #5 of 17

So are these are one layer each? A one layer 8" and a one layer 12"? I mean a two layer 8x12 is enormous for 20 servings.

Look at it this way, you would be using about 10 cups of batter to bake these cakes, (twice as much for two layers) using approximately two box mixes/recipes which typically would make 48 cupcakes--two layer woudl be 96 cupcakes--ginormous cake for 20.

One cupcake is enough for me at any event. So I would recommend that the 12 inch alone would be plenty even if you are erring on the side of larger portions.

I would start a 2d sculpture at $100.

Just a thought for you, you could fashion a mike out of a pretzel and a cupcake--as well as the headphones out of a cupcake and icing.

I mean it just seems like you are going overboard.
Maybe take a deep breathe and regroup.

When people have an event and have a fancy cake the serving size is not the same as when you make a cake for family and we make pigs of ourselves and forget supper...and/or breakfast. icon_biggrin.gif kwim?

dinas27 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 12:54pm
post #6 of 17

That is an enormous amount of cake!

You can go with something in between 2x2x3, which is still more than enough (12 cubic inches - what many would call a party size)

You can get 21 servings with just a 6" (7 servings) and an 8" (14 servings).

jonahsmom Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 12:59pm
post #7 of 17

I've been using 1x2x4 for all of the cakes I've been making for people. They might be skeptical at first of the size of the slice, but when I show it to them they change their mind. It's actually a much more manageable piece of cake to eat. It doesn't feel like you're going right into sugar shock, and really it is plenty of cake!

cheesecakes-galore Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 1:04pm
post #8 of 17

Those are huge slices. What I do for 3" tall cakes is recomend the customers to slice it 1.5x2 as opposed to the 1x2. I recently made a friends shower cake, it was only 2" deep and cut the slices 2x2, and I could not finish my piece, that is just a lot of cake. Especially if there is going to be other food there, people are not going to be able to eat that large of a slice, and you will end up having a lot thrown away.

Juds2323 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 2:03pm
post #9 of 17

Check out this link - I have it saved in my favs.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_88648.html it shows 1x2, 2x2 and 1.5x2 slices all are 4" high but if you visualize them ending at one line up from the bottom it will give you a better visual on size.

cupcakeco Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 2:54pm
post #10 of 17

Thank you all so-so much for your responses!

I was aware that it was more, just not sure how much more...I tried to make that chart in an effort to conceptualize but it still wasn't happening. icon_rolleyes.gif

Anywho, I think I may downsize to 10"x3" and a 6" x3" tiers. I want to purposely err on the side of excess, since I'm worred (know I shouldn't be) that if they cut the cake wrong... they'll end up with not enough cake.

Whatever final chart I wind up with, though, I'm going to be passing along to the customer, to try and make sure that (that) doesn't happen. Is that something that decorators normally do (giving a serving chart for reference)? There won't be anyone "professionally" cutting the cake.

Again thanks so much for all of your responses! I normally stick to mini cakes or cupcakes, so I don't ever have this problem :blushes:. You've all been so helpful!

toodlesjupiter Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 3:05pm
post #11 of 17

Here is another chart that has helped me out tremendously. I also print a copy to leave with whoever is cutting the cake. Then it's up to them to do it right. You've done your part, so don't worry (I know... easier said than done!).

Pebbles1727 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 3:21pm
post #12 of 17

That is definitely an over kill, even 10 and 6 inch is more than enough cake. I just made one for a baby shower, 8 and 6, pink one in my photos, the party had 22 people and they had several slices left over. If I was selling cakes, I would definitely not getting people used to bigger portions without higher price. You may regret it later. If this is just for your family, then go ahead and make it as big as you want to.
Good Luck, P

cupcakeco Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 3:25pm
post #13 of 17

That is just fabulous-- thank you so much!

TexasSugar Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 5:30pm
post #14 of 17

According to Wilton's Chart
6x3 serves 12 party servings and 12 wedding servings
8x3 serves 20 party servings and 24 wedding servings
10x3 serves 28 party servings and 38 wedding servings
12x3 serves 40 party servings and 56 wedding servings.

These are based on 1 1/2x2 for party and 1x2 for wedding.

I use to do look at the different numbers thinking hey most of us like a bigger piece of cake, or like Indy said it sounds like a very small piece. It really isn't. You also have to sometimes consider who the cake is for. Small kids will eat alot less than teenagers and chances are women aren't going to want huge hunking slices either, especially if there are other foods involved.

Indy also points out another important thing that lead me to just using one chart no matter what they occasion was. I use wedding servings for everything. Because other wise you are cheating yourself money.

If you base your prices off of servings then if you figure the price by party servings vs wedding servings you will be making less.

$2x40 servings is $80.
$2x56 serving is $112

You are losing $32 because you want to give them bigger servings, and that is just going by this chart.

If you go by the numbers you figured earlier then you are looking at $2x24 servings which is $48 so that is $64 lose. You are losing more money than you are making by that.

By having an across the board serving size, no matter what the occasion is you have less numbers to remember and less explaining to do when someone questions the price difference in the same cakes sizes when it comes to serving sizes.

If someone wants to cut their pieces bigger than they need to order more cake.

TexasSugar Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 5:33pm
post #15 of 17

Another thought, take your pan and trace it out on a piece of large paper and figure those servings on it. Sometimes when we see it in the real size we realize that what looked small really isn't. Or you can take some styrofoam and cut it out to that size to see how big the pieces will really be.

indydebi Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 6:47pm
post #16 of 17
Originally Posted by cupcakeco

I want to purposely err on the side of excess, since I'm worred (know I shouldn't be) that if they cut the cake wrong... they'll end up with not enough cake.

First, if you tell them how to cut the cake, if they know how many servings it will yield and if they cut it wrong and run out, it's not your problem.

Print out my website page that shows how to cut a (wedding) cake and give that to them when you deliver the cake.

If they choose to cut it in half and serve only 2 people, that's their choice.

not your problem.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 7:36pm
post #17 of 17

I don't know if you watch the show The Closer but they've had a couple of episodes with wedding cake and the slices are thin but tall probably the standard size that Indydebi uses and when you lay it on its side it's almost as wide as the little plate it's on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%