200 Cupcakes - Need Advice

Baking By CakesbyBecca Updated 25 Jun 2009 , 1:26pm by Kiddiekakes

CakesbyBecca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyBecca Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 3:52am
post #1 of 6

I agreed to donate 200 cupcakes to an adoption agency for their dessert fundraiser in August. I've never made that many cupcakes at one time and could use some advice. I don't have a commercial kitchen, just my normal size oven and normal size kitchen aid. They could like these cupcakes decorated as the flags of the 15 to 18 countries they serve in. How do I do this without staying up for 48 hours straight? Is there a way to freeze cupcakes without them drying out? Is there a quick way to replicate flags on cupcakes?
Thanks for your help.

5 replies
SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 4:05am
post #2 of 6

Actually, I've noticed that when you freeze cakes ans cupcakes, it makes them more moist. Just set them in a box and wrap the box with about four layers of plastic wrap. I've done that on several occasions, and they come out perfectly! Just did a wedding cake this past weekend like that and it was so moist and fresh and good!

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 4:08am
post #3 of 6

So you are looking at nine batches of cupcakes with some left over. I would bake and freeze over three days. Don't freeze individually. Pack them closely in a box and wrap the box well in plastic wrap as soon as you can handle them. I would also frost all of the cupcakes the exact same way. Unless you are looking for some huge referral payout, that would be crazy. The flags, I would print them out in a pick size and make your own flag picks. Add sprinkles(cupcakes always look better with sprinkles!), and viola! You're done. You have beautiful cupcakes. You remain sane.

CakesbyBecca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyBecca Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 5:36am
post #4 of 6

Thank you! I always freeze my cakes, but I don't have much experience with cupcakes. Good to know you can freeze those too without wrapping them individually icon_biggrin.gif . I may need to talk to the woman in charge about the toothpicks, since I agreed to each cupcake as a flag and they were planning on making the cupcakes the only decoration on the table. And I'm not doing it for the referral. I live in CA and don't have access to a commercial kitchens and therefore don't sell my cakes icon_sad.gif .

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 12:48pm
post #5 of 6

IMO, you should really work with the woman to come up with another decorating plan. The time it is going to take to decorate 200 cupcakes individually to look like different flags...well, how many days are you willing to give up to make this donation?
I suspect that the person who suggested this decorating idea really has no idea how much work is involved in creating a custom designed product.

Don't get me wrong - I think it's wonderful that you want to donate to a worthy cause. But that's a huge amount of work.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 1:26pm
post #6 of 6

I agree with CakebyCathy....Different flags from many countries is going to be a huge encounter with all the colors etc...Maybe if you can find some paper flags already made up of the different countries all you would have to do is base coat the cupcakes and stick a flag in...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%