My Grey Fondant Turned Green

Decorating By kse Updated 25 Jun 2009 , 3:04am by Renaejrk

kse Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 2:03am
post #1 of 7

I made grey fondant, left it out (put in zip lock bag) overnight, and it turned green. Made some more (covered it) put it in refrigerator and left it out for about an hour and it turned light purple! How can I keep my grey colored fondant grey. I colored it using a small amount of black wilton coloring. Help please.

6 replies
carla848 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 2:17am
post #2 of 7

I am having the same problem with tiniting gumpaste!! I really wanted a nice black, but it turned green on me. I added more colour, but I am not having any luck! Still greenish. I am ready to give up, and comeup with a different colour scheme! Any one have any suggestions? To make matters even worse, I was using it for a gumpaste shoe.. And the sole of the shoe broke! I am wondering it it broke becauseof all the colour I added compromised the strength og the gumpaste.. Any hints would be appreciated. I still have 2 weeks to get right fo the cake I am doing...

Renaejrk Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 2:28am
post #3 of 7

I haven't used Wilton black in a while, but maybe try americolor -they have regular black and superblack. as far as the shoe - yeah, the color may have affected it, but you should try making it white and painting it black instead once it's completely dry.

carla848 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 2:40am
post #4 of 7

What would you use to "paint the gumpaste" ? wilton colour plus vodka?

carla848 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 2:43am
post #5 of 7

What would you use to "paint the gumpaste" ? wilton colour plus vodka?

indydebi Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 2:52am
post #6 of 7

This is common.

I learned in art class that when you mix all 3 primary colors, you get black....red, blue, yellow.

In the 70's, when they took the #2 Red Dye off the market, our stable red disappeared and there was not a good replacement. We've been dealing with the issue ever since.

When the red fades away, all that is left is the blue and yellow .... which equals green.

I buy black icing from my cake supply store, and even when it's new, I can see the green tint along the edge.

we just don't have a stable red and haven't had one for over 30 years.

Renaejrk Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 3:04am
post #7 of 7

as for painting it, whenever I've tried to mix it with alcohol it turns green. I have an airbrush now and use it to do things like that. You can paint it with airbrush color or gel color (though that is kind of thick).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%