How Many Dowels Do You Use?

Decorating By bbstephan Updated 28 Jun 2009 , 11:38am by sugarrose

bbstephan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbstephan Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 1:28am
post #1 of 8

Out of curiousity, how many dowels do you use in the bottom tier of a 6-8-10-12-14 inch stacked cake as well as 8-10-12-14-16 inch cake? In the bottom three tiers, do you use just the 1/4" wooden dowels or a combination of the wooden dowels and plastic tubes?

7 replies
dorie67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dorie67 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 1:36am
post #2 of 8

I dowel according to the size of the tiers, ex. 14 inch bottom, I would put dowels around in a circle to the size of the next tier. That way the next tier is completely supported. This is how I learned but am open for suggestions also. Thanks! princess.gif

micky3626 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
micky3626 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 1:52am
post #3 of 8

I use what they call bubble straws. My wilton teacher and very close friend told me about them. depending on the size of each tier would account for how many straws I would use. And as dorie67 stated going around the next tier for support would be good. Before I started using the bubble straws I have used the plastic tube dowels to support the tiers and I used 4 for the bigger layers and 3 for the support of the 8" and 2 to support the top tier. thumbs_up.gif

dorie67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dorie67 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 2:37am
post #4 of 8

I dowel according to the size of the tiers, ex. 14 inch bottom, I would put dowels around in a circle to the size of the next tier. That way the next tier is completely supported. This is how I learned but am open for suggestions also. Thanks! princess.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 2:43am
post #5 of 8

If I'm using wooden dowels (rarely) I put in 1 per inch of the tier above.

If I'm using plastic dowels, I use 1 per 2 inches of the tier above. For very heavy/tall cakes, I sometimes use the heavier gauge plastic hidden pillars and then I cut back to 1 per 3 inches of the tier above.

I do my best to space the dowels very evenly and leave the direct center free so that I can drive a long dowel thru the entire cake.

HTH
Rae

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 2:40pm
post #6 of 8

Im making a beer mug cake, tomm...my first...I was told by one CCer thats done cakes for over 25yrs I didnt have to for a 4layers (single) tall cake. Others have said yes...so Im lost.

Can I use bubble straws or does it have to be dowels and can I just dowel as I go? meaning 2 cakes, dowel at that height and not insert onto the bottom board? then next 2 layers dowel those and then do a final one dowel down all 4 layers? and not the bottom board?

thanks!!!

bbstephan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbstephan Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 7:24pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks for everyone's input!

sugarrose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarrose Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 11:38am
post #8 of 8

what are plastic dowels and what are bubble straws? where i live i can not get both. can i substitute wooden dowels for it. i would like to know what
i can use as a plastic dowels.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%