A Tale Of Woe Re: Wbh Bc....

Decorating By auntmamie Updated 6 Jul 2009 , 3:14am by sweet-thing

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 1:04am
post #1 of 7

or, What NOT to do on a hot June day.....

So there I was, glancing at the office calendar when it suddenly appeared to me, it's the last full week of the month...and not a soul had brought in the June birthday cake. Rather than bring on the wrath of the birthday cake demons, I generously volunteered my enormous skills to craft a delectable creation for my ever grateful coworkers.

I found a wonderful recipe that all should enjoy, a chocolate mocha sponge layered with mocha cream, and covered in mocha rolled sugarpaste. Oh, wouldn't they salivate at the sound of the delicious creation...

The cake was baked, the buttercream made.....And I relaxed with a glass of pinot grigio whilst the layers of sponge were cooling. Once my repast of an hour was over, I began to assemble my creation. First a smear of buttercream, then the first tall, spongy layer of chocolate mocha cake. Then, a layer of buttercream so thick you could swim in it. Next, another wonderful layer of cake. At last, the cake is stacked, and the time has come to crumb coat.

Oh, should this step have never come, all should be well. The frosting is put on, the smoothing begins. What, is that a tilt I see? Let me amend. I carefully shift the top layer into place. Oh no, it is now tilting the other way. Again, I amend the configuration. Then, once the layers are standing tall and perfect, the coating shall continue. Hmm, it seems a tad soft. Allow me to transfer to the tall, cold white appliance to chill for some time, whilst I remand the kitchen to it's original state.

I procure a flat board on which to place the creation, and begin to move. At this time, it is when all goes wrong. The top begins to slide - a whole 4 inches off center. The center filling has melted, and the top is now cracked. I hurriedly arrange the creation back into a resemblance of a cake, and quickly move the the cold environment it so desperately needs.

I now am offering up prayers to the heavenly cake gods, and wish with my whole soul that the cake might be salvaged, for my office mates pleasure, and my personal sanity....

6 replies
niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 1:29am
post #2 of 7

did you do this all in one night?? that would be the first mistake..

auntbeesbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntbeesbaking Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 1:40am
post #3 of 7

Your unfortunate experience reads like a story! icon_surprised.gif I just read it to my famiy. I hope all does go well for you! Your heart is certainly in the right place!

CakeMommy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommy3 Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 12:29am
post #4 of 7

Sorry this happened to you, but I am LMAO at your story! I love the way you wrote it. But still, bummer about the cake icon_sad.gif

tazmycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tazmycat Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 1:36pm
post #5 of 7

Can you say trifle?????

Mindy1975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mindy1975 Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 8:28pm
post #6 of 7

exactly! Trifle for everyone! lol

sweet-thing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet-thing Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 3:14am
post #7 of 7

So sorry about your yummy sounding cake. However, that story is hilarious! You should entertain us with more of your stories. Even my hubby is laughing!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%