Beach Ball Fondant Decorations

Decorating By sdbrown Updated 28 Jun 2009 , 10:04am by FlourPots

sdbrown Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 12:51am
post #1 of 5

Hi, I am new to CC and making my 1st 3 tiered cake for my son's 1st birthday. I need help on tips on how to make beach balls out of fondant to use to decorate the beach themed cake?

4 replies
blu_canary Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 1:02am
post #2 of 5

I've not done it with fondant, but I've done it with clay. If you want a ball with six colors, make six balls, all the same size, one of each color. With a really sharp blade, cut each ball into 6 parts, like the segments of an orange. Then just piece each ball together with the color arrangement you like, dab a little water between color segments for glue, and roll them into a smooth ball. It takes a little finesse to keep from muzzing the colors up, but it works well.

Good luck!

Edited to add: Of course that only works for small balls. For larger, you might need a foam core and just lay rolled fondant pieces over it. With piping gel, or something else, as glue.

cs_confections Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 11:24pm
post #3 of 5

I made one for the beach cake in my pics. I rolled three colors (red, yellow and blue) in to ball of the same size. Then I gently pushed them together and used my hands to roll (while still gently pushing them together) them into one larger ball. Hope that helps!

gloria Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 1:44am
post #4 of 5

I made two on my pool cake. I just rolled white fondant in balls then used food safe coloring pens.

FlourPots Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 10:04am
post #5 of 5

Here's a template...if you're able to scale it way down, it should work for you: http://www.purlbee.com/storage/largeball.pdf

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%