Difference In Chocolate Cake, Wasc Question....

Decorating By JCE62108 Updated 25 Jun 2009 , 8:51am by JCE62108

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 11:11pm
post #1 of 7

I think Ive tried Devils Food cake a long time ago and didnt really like it for some reason. I dont really know why. I made Macsmom's choc wasc recipe with devil's food cake mix and I wasnt really wowed by it. Maybe it was the mix? Can someone please tell me what the difference is between devils food and regular chocolate cake?

Also, what is your favorite cake mix to make chocolate wasc with?

6 replies
cakedesigner59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedesigner59 Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 11:18pm
post #2 of 7

It's just going to be each person's personal preference. I like Devil's Food. I've never really noticed a diff between that and "chocolate" cake. The new dark chocolate one by Betty Crocker is VERY different; it tastes like an oreo cookie (the chocolate part) to me. I've made the WASC version with Devil's Food and I liiked it. Sorry, that probably doesn't help one bit.

volleyball47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
volleyball47 Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 11:18pm
post #3 of 7

yeah i recently made wasc with devils food and it didnt taste all that great either! very disappointing!

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 11:21pm
post #4 of 7

I think devil's food uses a darker chocolate. I've used several different kinds of chocolate cake mixes with the wasc recipe - the 2 box/ 2 c flour/ 2c sugar and uses oil recipe? They turn out great and everyone loves them! Sometimes I add mini chocolate chips and it's a real treat!

If you prefer a sweeter chocolate, they have a milk chocolate cake mix too!

KatesCakesBC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatesCakesBC Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 11:38pm
post #5 of 7

When I do a Chocolate WASC I use a chocolate fudge cake mix by Betty Crocker. I add in a choclate fudge pudding mix (or just chocolate or even white chocolate if they have them). I use chocolate milk for the liquid. I have also used a mocha coffee creamer and it was good too - not sure it added to the chocolate flavour but definately made it rich and thick and lovely. And I use extra liquid than the traditional WASC. Add oil, flour, sugar and sour cream as common in WASC. I also add 1 cup extra of either Cocoa Powder or Hot Chocolate mix (this is particularly good if it is a good quality/Gourmet HC mix) and that is the reason for the extra liquid. Using 1 cup of coffee for some of the liquid also really brings out the chocolate flavour. I put milk chocolate chips in quite often as well.

Layer on the chocolate flavour in as many ways as possible!

I got all these ideas off this site and have blended them together in my own way and I get ridiculously good and SUPER chocolate-y WASC cakes. MacsMom also praises the use of melted ice cream to replace the liquid (and reduce some of the oil/fat if you want to or feel the need to with the consistency). I have never used chocoalte ice cream in a WASC but I have used strawberry and it was frickin' delicious! There is also a lot of talk on this site about flavoured oils and extracts -- I think you can get those in chocolate too.

Good Luck!
K

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 7:28am
post #6 of 7

I've always found devil's food cake to be rich in color but not so in chocolate flavor.

Try my recipe. It's chocolate heaven! It's actually best if you bake it, allow it to cool, and then wrap in foil and leave it for a day or two. It is super moist and chocolately and yummy. icon_smile.gif
e-WASC-Cake.html

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7367-0-AMAZING-Chocolate-WASC-Cake.html

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 8:51am
post #7 of 7

Thanks for the input, guys. I really want a super rich dark chocolate cake. I dont think chocolate should be any other way! lol. Ill check out your recipe, cakepro, when I get home from work today. i gotta get going now. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%