!help! Wilton Butter Cake Recipe Failed

Decorating By charliecakes Updated 24 Jun 2009 , 11:48pm by charliecakes

charliecakes Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 11:09pm
post #1 of 3

someone please help me with Wilton butter cake recipe please!!! I've tried this recipe repeatedy and for some reason any cake size over an eight inch, like a 10, 12 inch square or round pan just will not bake right. It looks okay in the oven for a while and then i can see it wanting to collapse. The first thing that happens is the cake in the heating core will fall. Once i see this i know the cake will follow. The 6 and 8 inch cakes seem to be okay. Anything larger is gooey and doughy. I am soooooooo frustrated. what am i doing wrong. I have tried this recipe with the suggested 3/4 teaspoon baking powder, i have tried with 3 tsp baking powder, and i have tried with 1/2 baking powder. I give up. I can tell from just sampling the ruined cake that this recipe is so tasty. I just want it to work.

3 cups all purpose flour cream sugar and butter
5 eggs add eggs one by one
3/4 tsp baking powder add flour/mile alternatively
1 cup milk bake at 350
2.5 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups butter
1 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla extract.

2 replies
vtcake Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 11:44pm
post #2 of 3

I'm new at this, but I always bake my larger cakes with a flower nail (or 2) in them, at 325 degrees. I never bake higher. No problem with my cakes falling.

charliecakes Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 11:48pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks vtcake. I will try it with the flower nail. I'm using a heating core now but i will try just about anything

Quote by @%username% on %date%