Fondant/gumpaste Figurines In Humidity W/o Airconditioning

Decorating By sheilabelle Updated 25 Jun 2009 , 2:32am by marushka

sheilabelle Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 10:39pm
post #1 of 5

Right now Michigan has really high humidity and high temps. We do not have air conditioning in our home and was wondering if there is anything I can try to help with my figurines and fondant covered cakes. I had made a figure 2 weeks ago and he broke in half (I even put a toothpick in his middle, it just pulled right out). I have fans going trying to do the best that I can. The humidity was so high that everything looked wet and glossy. I even put a cake that I was doing out in our camper that has air conditioning. My cake went camping. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. TIA

4 replies
SarahJane Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 11:50pm
post #2 of 5

I live in Hawaii and the humidity is almost always in the 90%. You can't get away from the condensation, it's just not possible. Even if you keep it in the ac, as soon as you drop the cake off at the location and it sits out, it will start to sweat. Sweating is a "hot" topic on here I've noticed. I personally don't see the big deal, I've never had a customer complain and the sweating doesn't make the colors run or anything, it just looks glossy. If you are going to use luster dust on any part of your cake, make sure you do it before you put it on the cake or in the fridge. As far as the figurines, I put tylose powder in my fondant and I haven't had any trouble with my figurines holding up, even in the fridge. Good luck

niccicola Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 11:57pm
post #3 of 5

i went through a few weeks where we had no A/C and the worst thing I did was to put a fan on whatever it was i wanted to cool/harden. My semi-hardened bow loops went from workable to completely liquid in about 3 hours. HORRIBLE!

Essentially, you are blowing the humid air all over the figurine at a faster pace then if it was just sitting there. Get your figurine to the lowest part of your house (do you have a basement?) where the cool air will naturally sink towards. If not, the floor of a closet, perhaps?

sheilabelle Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 12:51am
post #4 of 5

I do use Tylose powder but it didn't help this time. I regret that we didn't put a basement in the house when we built. Hind sight is always 20/20. I will try putting things in a closet on the floor. Can't hurt. Better than everything falling to pieces. Anyone else with suggestions, I welcome them all.

marushka Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 2:32am
post #5 of 5

I made a cake last week during high humidity and it started to sweat so I dusted it with PS and VERY gently smoothed that over with my hands or used a paint brush in more delicate areas and that solved the sweating for me. No cracking resulted either. hope that helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%