Fillings That Don't Have To Be Refridgerated...

Decorating By JCE62108 Updated 28 Jun 2009 , 6:53pm by JCE62108

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 10:21pm
post #1 of 17

I really dont know much (or anything) about the chemistry of different fillings, like what can stay out and what cant. I know a lot of people say that sleeved fillings can stay out, but does that mean ALL of them? You know Im not entirely convinced that just because its on the shelf when you buy it that it would be ok once the seal is broken. Like mayonaise. Like the cream fillings, can they sit out?

Also, what home-made fillings can be left out. Specifically, curds or fruit fillings. I doubt there are any cream fillings, but if there are Id love to know.

I have a cake that will be covered in fondant and will be traveling about 2 hours so being refriderated is kind of out of the question, but this customer is most likely going to want a filling. Probably a fruit filling.

Any advice you can give would be fantastic. Thanks!

16 replies
sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 2:02am
post #2 of 17

I believe all sleeved fillings are safe once opened to be left out. If you're making a cake with fresh filling or sleeved letting it sit or travel for several hours won't hurt it. I've had cakes sit out for 24 -36 hrs will filling and they were fine.

chefjess819 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjess819 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 2:08am
post #3 of 17

ok, kind of new here and am just starting to use fillings. what is a sleeved filling? have no clue icon_redface.gif

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 2:12am
post #4 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefjess819

ok, kind of new here and am just starting to use fillings. what is a sleeved filling? have no clue icon_redface.gif

Sleeved fillings can be purchased at a cake supply store or online...there are many flavors - fruits, creams, etc.

Quote: I have a cake that will be covered in fondant and will be traveling about 2 hours so being refriderated is kind of out of the question, but this customer is most likely going to want a filling. Probably a fruit filling

"Bettercreme" can be used to make a whipped cream-type filling and is room temp stable. (that's my understanding anyhow...k8memphis has talked about this in a few diff threads)

HTH!

CarrieBear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarrieBear Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 2:21am
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefjess819

pre-made fillings in plastic bags (sleeves) sold online or in cake supply stores

JCE62108 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 8:54am
post #6 of 17

I thought about the bettercreme thing. Only thing is I dont know where I can buy this stuff. I dont think my cake supply store has it, but Ill have to check again. Only thing is they are about 90 minutes from me. icon_sad.gif Anyone in FL know where I can buy bettercream?

Maybe Ill take a look at the sleeved fillings. That may be a good option. So curds cant stay out? Its mostly just butter and fruit, right? I forget. Its been so long since I made orange curd.

JCE62108 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 8:56am
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sari66

I believe all sleeved fillings are safe once opened to be left out. If you're making a cake with fresh filling or sleeved letting it sit or travel for several hours won't hurt it. I've had cakes sit out for 24 -36 hrs will filling and they were fine.

You had fresh fruit fillings out for 36 hours? Was this a certain kind? What about preserve type fillings like raspberry or something like that.

Katiekatiekatie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katiekatiekatie Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 2:17pm
post #8 of 17

You can purchase bettercream at Sams club.

Katie

JCE62108 Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 11:04pm
post #9 of 17

Thanks I will see if I can find one near me. I wish there was a little more information out there on this topic. It seems like no one really knows much about it. So when you guys make wedding cakes with all these fancy cream or fruit fillings, what do you do? What if its fondant? Do you just tell your brides if they want fondant they cant have certain fillings? It would be nice to have a list to go by. Maybe Ill work on that. icon_smile.gif

joaaaann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joaaaann Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 11:47pm
post #10 of 17

I think those sleeve fillings.. the fruit fillings as well as 'ganache' and buttercream, caramel, peanut butter..and jam can stay out of the fridge for a couple days anyways. Also cream cheese( however I'm referring to an industrial brand that I can't remember the company name..but it came in a large tub...not like we got the philly cream from the dairy section and I don't know what was preserving it ...but I know it tasted just like it came from the dairy section..it was a cream/yellowish color...dunno). But when I worked at a grocery bakery, we had holiday promos which we would not only stock the fridge but we would stock the tables ( 'point of sale' promos) with cakes that had fillings like these and were marked/tagged good for 2 days till expiring. The fridge and freezer cakes were for extended times obviously. We had the carrot cakes( cream cheese icing & filling, snicker's cake ( caramel filled and caramel mixed with buttercream icing, 'raspberry royal' with raspberry (sleeve) filling and many others of this type that were out on display those 2 days. I'm not sure about the bavarian..a custard. It's been so long but I know we made 'tortes' ( bavarian, whip cream and strawberry combinations) but pretty sure they were in the refrigerated display the whole time.

JCE62108 Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 12:28am
post #11 of 17

We used custard at my store and it can stay out. LOL we just call it chemical custard. We use chemical cream cheese too. I can get that stuff at my cake store, only thing is its a 3 hour round trip, not even including shopping time. I just hate the drive. I think I will just pick up a ton of stuff next time Im there. lol. One of each filling. icon_smile.gif

When you guys do a raspberry filling, do you usually use a sleeved filling or is raspberry preserves pretty much the same thing? I was thinking of trying some kind of all fruit seedless jam or something like that. Does that taste good in cakes?

woodruffbn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodruffbn Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 12:35am
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCE62108

Thanks I will see if I can find one near me. I wish there was a little more information out there on this topic. It seems like no one really knows much about it. So when you guys make wedding cakes with all these fancy cream or fruit fillings, what do you do? What if its fondant? Do you just tell your brides if they want fondant they cant have certain fillings? It would be nice to have a list to go by. Maybe Ill work on that. icon_smile.gif

Here's all the info you can stand about bettercreme. HTH!!!

woodruffbn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodruffbn Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 12:36am
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCE62108

Here's all the info you can stand about bettercreme. HTH!!!

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 1:00am
post #14 of 17

Yes, it was cooked fresh fillings. When i was in school one of the things everyone wanted to know was how long can fresh fillings stay in a cake without problems. My limit was 36hrs. lol

JCE62108 Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 6:15pm
post #15 of 17

Awesome. My customer just decided he wants a key lime cake with fresh lime curd and cheesecake filling.

The other cake is going to be a tropic breeze (macsmom's recipe I believe) and its supposed to have pineapple cheesecake filling.

So these are the ones I need to know about specifically now. Im going to do some research unless you guys have advice for me.

Im going to make it one day prior to the event so I need to know if 24 hours is ok for these fillings.

If you have a cheesecake or curd filling recipe that works for this, please please let me know. I will be very greatful.

Thanks for all your advice. icon_smile.gif

andiesweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andiesweet Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 6:26pm
post #16 of 17

I have used Key lime curd 9 and lemon curd in cakes that have stayed out for 2 days and they were fine. they were fine, they have a lot of sugar in them and that helps preserve them.

JCE62108 Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 6:53pm
post #17 of 17

yeah I looked at my recipes and its really just butter sugar, eggs, and juice. And its cooked. I think it will probably be fine. The cheesecake is my concern now. I was going to use this recipe...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cheesecake Filling
16 oz cream cheese, softened
4 c Frostin Pride or Bettercreme
2 pkgs cheesecake pudding mix
Beat cream cheese 'til smooth. Blend the dry pudding mixes into the whipped Bettercreme; blend into the cream cheese.
I've begun calling it "whipped cheesecake filling" because I don't want my customers to expect a baked cheesecake. I start each in the same manner:
Beat 2 pkgs dry cheesecake* pudding mix into liquid Frostin' Pride (2 lb carton) 'til whipped thick. *If banana, I use banana pudding mix. If chocolate I use 2 cheesecake pudding mixes whipped into chocolate Bettercreme - CBC has a strong chocolate flavor and the cheesecake pudding mix mellows it just right.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%