Are Springforms Reasonable Pans To Work With?

Decorating By MrsNancyB1 Updated 25 Jun 2009 , 5:52am by Gefion

MrsNancyB1 Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 9:57pm
post #1 of 9

I'm just curious if anyone actually uses springorms when baking cakes? I know they tend to be cheaper, and maybe not as good quality as actual pans that one would buy seperately. I am making my son's birthday cake this year, but was thinking of buying some good pans, although I'm attracted to the low cost of springforms.

Would you use springforms to bake a 'show' cake?

8 replies
bashini Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 10:06pm
post #2 of 9

Hi, I have never used them and I don't like them either. I know they are cheap, but I buy good quality cake tins which are expencive, but longlasting! icon_smile.gif

i_heart_pastry Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 11:05pm
post #3 of 9

I only use my springforms for cheesecake or for very dense cakes (recipes that aren't meant to turn out of a pan). For most cakes, I use high-quality cake pans. Like anything, you get what you pay for. If you're just planning to make this one cake, then a cake pan from your local discount dept. store would be fine. If you're planning to do lots of cakes, wedding cakes, etc. then it's probably worth your while to get something more durable. Wilton pans at Michaels (and maybe at Walmart) aren't as good as the high-end pans, but are ideal for the occasional at-home baker (imo).

lngo Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 3:27am
post #4 of 9

I own 3 sets of springform pans (yep, three of 10", 9", 8"). which I've had for maybe 5 years now. They've been great for cheesecakes and mousse cakes. I used them to bake regular cakes when I was first starting out too.

I still use them, but I've noticed over time that they've warped slightly (not noticeable in the final product). Be warned though that thin batters may leak from the bottom so you may want to have an oven liner or some foil to catch leakage. Clean up can be a hassle because it's hard to clean any baked batter that gets caught in the rim.

I still use my springforms, but as I add to my collection I buy Fat Daddios or Magic Line because I believe these will last me a lot longer with less hassle re: leakage and cleanup. I'll probably keep using my springforms until they die - it's hard to replace them while they still get the job done.

Lita829 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 3:39am
post #5 of 9

I use springform pans for cheesecakes only. I've never used them for regular cakes. I invested in quality bakeware because I wasn't too keen on trying to bake a batter cake in the springform pan.

Investing in quality bakeware is worth it if you are going to do more baking IMO.

sweetiesbykim Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 3:52am
post #6 of 9

I've been getting a lot of cheesecake orders recently, and I found the best pans! Viking in Walmart, colored and coated. The bottom locks in tightly and has a rim larger than the cake sides -no leaks, easy to clean from the finish, I love them!! At mine, they are on the top shelf with the other baking pans -I have a green and one red pan. I really don't like my silver ones now, and will probably get rid of them.

I bought a lot of used cake pans on Ebay, which turned out to be old, with 3" sides, very heavy professional pans for quite a deal! I started out with wilton sets, which I still use. If you have an AC Moore craft store, they offer 1 item at 50% off every week, which helps build a collection. Now I'm starting to collect the Daddio pans and the real tight cornered square pans with the rim over the top edge (forgot the maker).

MrsNancyB1 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 5:06am
post #7 of 9

Thanks everyone!

Since I'm just starting out, and really I want to bake cakes for my kids' birthday parties, I went ahead and bought a couple of the Wilton Performance pans today. I bought a 10" and an 8" so that I can make stacked cakes out of them.

I think these will be ideal for me for now, unless I get carried away and start baking cakes as a home business! icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks again!

sweetiesbykim Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 5:09am
post #8 of 9

I think that's a perfect choice icon_smile.gif Have fun with them!

Gefion Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 5:52am
post #9 of 9

If you buy good quality springforms, instead of the cheap crap, they are very nice to work with (and wont leak or warp) - I use them for all my round cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%