Can I Use Liquid Food Coloring

Decorating By ybeal Updated 27 Jun 2009 , 8:13am by paula19

ybeal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ybeal Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 9:32pm
post #1 of 5

to color fondant in a pinch? I was doing some royal icing decorations but they didn't turn out so well. Think I will make some fondant ones instead but I only have liquid food coloring and no time to drive and get the gel/paste kind. icon_sad.gif

4 replies
MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 9:41pm
post #2 of 5

I've always heard that the liquid food coloring will thin out your icing or fondant, and that's why gel is best.

GL!

mandyloo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandyloo Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 10:27pm
post #3 of 5

honestly, I've never tried so I can't give you any input, all I can suggest is that you try w/a small amount of color and fondant to see if it messes up the texture. Good luck.

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 12:20am
post #4 of 5

I have done it and had no problems with the liquid. You may have to add a bit of powdered sugar when you kneed it in. Soft/light colors only take a drop or 2 of color and will work in nicely.

paula19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paula19 Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 8:13am
post #5 of 5

I don't suggest it, but if you are doing light colors, it might be fine. But if you want to do strong colors, you should use gel. I tried doing red on fondant with liquid food coloring and i had to use a lot of it, and then the fondant was hard to work with. It got sticky and it thinned. I had to repeatedly add powdered sugar, which in turn made the fondant lighter... Not good lol.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%