Your Favorite Cake Mix Cake

Decorating By Kookie Updated 2 Jul 2009 , 9:02pm by bobwonderbuns

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 5:34pm
post #31 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michellet62260

O.K. call me dumb but.... What is WASC???

I thought this thread was about box mix cake mixes? Are all the ones mentioned here started with a box mix??

I recently tried a new box mix and it was delicious, tasted almost like homemade. It is the Duncan Hines Decadent Desserts Carrot Cake Mix. If you look in my pictures I have picture of it decorated, but also have a picture of it cut and of a slice so you can see how much it looks like homemade on the inside. Had no problem with it holding together and decorating it. It has a pouch of carrots and raisins that you re-hydrate (not sure if it had coc. can't remember. ) I did add chopped Walnuts to it and that just made it even better.

White Almond Sour Cream cake. It's a box cake mix used with an extender. There's a recipe for it in the recipe forums.

andiesweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andiesweet Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 5:43pm
post #32 of 40

1 pumpkin spice filled with salted caramel and toasted pecans
2 chocolate orange filled with whipped dark choc/ orange ganache

AXOCutie143 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AXOCutie143 Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 5:48pm
post #33 of 40

So you can use the WASC with ANY box recipe you want? Forgive me if this has been repeated 100 times before, I'm new to the CC world icon_smile.gif

I have a box of BC Devil's Food that I was going to bake up this week for my final Wilton Course 1 cake...the WASC recipe would work for that?

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 5:51pm
post #34 of 40

Welcome AXOcutie143, my daughter is a AXO too!

GayeG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GayeG Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 5:52pm
post #35 of 40

My fav has got to be a Strawberry cake by Paula Deen ~ It has just the right amount of sweetness with just the right amt of strawberry flavor! Pair it with a choc cake and fudge filling and you get Chocolate Covered Strawberry - and it is TO DIE FOR!! Im drooling just thinking about it!! =} It is def my MOST requested flavor to date!

bobwonderbuns Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 5:57pm
post #36 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by AXOCutie143

So you can use the WASC with ANY box recipe you want? Forgive me if this has been repeated 100 times before, I'm new to the CC world icon_smile.gif

I have a box of BC Devil's Food that I was going to bake up this week for my final Wilton Course 1 cake...the WASC recipe would work for that?

There is a chocolate WASC recipe floating around here someplace. If you can't find that, use the chocolate durable cake recipe in the recipes forum. I've used white cake, lemon cake and yellow cake mixes in the WASC recipe variations all with great success.

JawdroppingCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JawdroppingCakes Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 6:01pm
post #37 of 40

Hi Abslu, how do you make your white chocolate mousse filling?

CarrieBear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarrieBear Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 6:21pm
post #38 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXOCutie143

There is a chocolate WASC recipe floating around here someplace. If you can't find that, use the chocolate durable cake recipe in the recipes forum. I've used white cake, lemon cake and yellow cake mixes in the WASC recipe variations all with great success.

here is macsmom's recipe also listed under the link in my signature, the link has many wasc cakes along with others
this is a huge batch with the 2cake mix version, I usually cut it in half if im making a smaller cake

Chocolate WASC (macsmom's method ) - MacsMom
2 dark chocolate cake mixes
2 c cake flour (gives it a lighter crumb)
2 1/4 c sugar (extra sugar for moistness)
1/3 c cocoa powder
3/4 t salt (less salt because of the cocoa powder)
2 pkg chocolate fudge pudding mixes
8 egg whites or 6 whole eggs
2 c sour cream
2 c coffee
1 c chocolate milk (extra liquid because chocolate mixes tend to be thick)
1/3 c oil
2 t Nielsen Massey's chocolate extract
2 t vanilla or butter extract

CarrieBear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarrieBear Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 6:23pm
post #39 of 40

also since there is no baking times usually listed with the recipes, do not use the baking times on the cake mix box or you will be sad when its raw in the middle. they bake for much longer.
I bake at 325 until toothpick comes clean in the middle and has a nice bounce back.

bobwonderbuns Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 9:02pm
post #40 of 40

I haven't received any email notices on this thread -- but looking back it's because there's been no activity. Okay, we're good! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%