Luster Dust Or Edible Glitter On Chocolate Molds + Lorann ?

Decorating By fruitsnack Updated 24 Jun 2009 , 8:32pm by DianeLM

fruitsnack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fruitsnack Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 8:19pm
post #1 of 3

I am working on a cake for a bridal shower on Sunday. My plan was to use fondant in these cute little wedding candy molds I found. The problem is that the fondant is sticking in the molds and not holding the pattern on them. I don't have gumpaste to add to the fondant, either.

My plan B was to use white chocolate in the molds to add to the cake as decorations.

First of all - can you use any Lorann oils in the candy or is it only certain ones? The only clear ones I have are cotton candy, marshmallow or cheesecake - which would go best with a white and chocolate cake?

Secondly, since the buttercream is going to be white, I wanted to add a bit of . . . something to the chocolate to make it stand out more. I thought I had pearl luster dust, but I only have silver. I also have edible glitter. Can you mix either of these into the chocolate before molding? In my mind, I see either swirls of the silver dust or little sparkly pieces of the glitter throughout each piece. Would that work?

2 replies
Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 8:30pm
post #2 of 3

You may want to do a couple of practice molds first - working with chocolate is very different from cake/fondant/buttercream. Do not mix the dust with the chocolate before molding - you will not get the desired result. You can get some very pretty results by brushing on dusts/glitters after unmolding - usually a neat irridescence. As far as flavors, remember you cannot add anything water-based (vanilla, etc) but any oils should be fine.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 8:32pm
post #3 of 3

Fondant sticking in mold: Give your mold a very light coat of shortening with a paintbrush. Press your fondant in, leaving a little on the back so you have something to grab onto, then pop the mold in the frig or freezer for about 5 minutes. Pull the item out by the extra fondant you left in the back, then trim that extra off.

Lorann oils to flavor chocolate: Check the ingredients. If there's water in it, you shouldn't use it. Just one drop of water will cause your whole batch of choc to seize. Get some oil-based flavoring specifically made for choc.

Lastly, don't mix luster dust or glitter in with your choc. If you want to add silver swirls, dip a dry paintbrush into your silver dust and paint directly onto your molded choc pieces. (They should be at room temp as refrigerated choc tends to accumulate condensation which will make a mess of your dust.)

If you'd prefer to use the edible glitter, it will look better if you crush it first. Fold a piece of wax paper or parchment in half, pour some glitter in, fold over, then roll over it all with a rolling pin.

If you have confectioners glaze, you can brush your molded choc with that, then sprinkle on the glitter. Or, mix some piping gel with clear alcohol (vodka, Everclear, gin, e.g.) and brush that on. Then, sprinkle on the glitter. Let dry completely.

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%