Fondx Fondant Please Please Help!!

Decorating By Kaiah723 Updated 24 Sep 2013 , 7:53pm by bundlesofjoy

Kaiah723 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaiah723 Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 7:08pm
post #31 of 47

Someone else on here said they mix some wilton with their fondx and that the consistency is better. The fondx just seems VEERRRYYYY soft to me and that is whats worrying me, that when I roll it out and go to put it on the cake it is going to fall apart on me. I HATE the taste of wilton and dont want to use it, I also dont want this cake to be a disaster. icon_cry.gif

aundron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundron Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 7:28pm
post #32 of 47

Only time I've had a problem with Fondx falling apart is when I rolled it too thin; but that will happen with any fondant.

Fondx is a great product and as I said before, I use PS to roll it out all the time and I've never had a problem.

Why don't you practice a little bit with it, just to get a feel of it with the powdered sugar?

Kaiah723 Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 7:30pm
post #33 of 47

Yeah I was thinking about doing that maybe this weekend just to get a feel for it. Do you color your fondx? I was planning on coloring mine with the wilton colors...any thoughts on that?

aundron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundron Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 7:33pm
post #34 of 47

Yes, I do color it and I airbrush it as well. I haven't used it with Wilton colors, because I only use Americolor, but I know Wilton colors will work fine with it.

Kaiah723 Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 5:10pm
post #35 of 47

OK good, I hope they work fine. You have been such a great help, thank you soooo much! I will let you know how everything turns out next sunday after the party! Thanks again so much everyone for all your help!

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 6:36pm
post #36 of 47

Kaish723

Please let us know how the Fondx worked for you. I am very interested in how it went because after reading the comments about Fondx vs Satin Ice as I just ordered the Fondx. I am hoping that I like it better than Pettinice.

Thanks

Peridot Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 6:38pm
post #37 of 47

Kaish723

Please let us know how the Fondx worked for you. I am very interested in how it went because after reading the comments about Fondx vs Satin Ice as I just ordered the Fondx. I am hoping that I like it better than Pettinice.

Thanks

Kaiah723 Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 6:49pm
post #38 of 47

Peridot

I will definitely let you know how it worked for me. I will say that I did pinch a piece off and it does taste really good! The cake I will be using it on is for next sunday so I will post how everything went with the fondx on this thread. icon_smile.gif

tonicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonicake Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 3:09pm
post #39 of 47

Peridot

I promise you will not just like the Fondx, you'll wish you knew about it long before now!

Your fondant will go so much faster, because people will actually request fondant cakes as well as butter cream. I know by experience. Enjoy!

Toni

Kaiah723 Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 3:24pm
post #40 of 47

So I used the fondx last sunday for my daughters birthday cake. I had a total cake disaster and I had a pretty crappy night. The first cake I used the fondx on, it was drooping and dry and was looking like elephant skin. To make a long story short, my first cake fell apart and I had to start all over early the next morning. But on the 2nd cake I did, I kneaded in some crisco (which I have never had to do before) and used cornstarch instead of powdered sugar and the fondx was amazing! I guess it was just kinda trial and error and from the first cake I figured out what the problem was. But the fondx worked great and I LOVED how it tasted! A lot of people were still picking it off the cake but I sure wasnt! It worked good for me and tasted 5385639547365349 times better than wilton! icon_lol.gif Thanks to everyone for all your help and advice, fondx is the only fondant I will use to cover cakes from now on! thumbs_up.gif

Peridot Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 9:27pm
post #41 of 47

Thanks tonicake & Kaiah723,

I received my Fondx and will be using it in a week. I hope that I don't have a first disaster like Kaiah723. I am anxious to use it. It makes me a little nervous when I think about using it. But like I said I am not that crazy about the taste of Pettinice even with adding some white chocolate to it. It rolls out fine and all of that but I would like one that tasted better. Also it is expensive with the white chocolate and it is a lot of work adding that to it - all that mess and kneading. I am so hoping I like the Fondx.

This is a great thread and thanks to all for the advise and comments. Kaiah723 - did you post a picture of your cake?

Kaiah723 Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 2:38pm
post #42 of 47

Peridot,
I think you will be fine using the fondx and I think you will love it! Do you use powdered sugar when rolling out your fondant? If you do I would recommend using cornstarch for the fondx instead and kneading in a bit a crisco also. I really think if I had done that from the beginning it wouldnt have been so much trouble. My other problem was that it was my first time trying a topsy turvy and that was a mistake in itself! icon_cry.gif I did post both pics of the disaster cake and the one I had to throw together the morning of the party in another thread.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6475157-.html#6475157

If that doesnt work let me know and I will post the pictures here also. The disaster cake is a bad picture, I only took one pic of it from my cell because I was so embarrased by it! icon_redface.gif

sweetsuccess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsuccess Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 1:54pm
post #43 of 47

I've tried Fondx in Bronwen Weber's class and I love it! Very easy to knead, covers the cake in a snap! Going to purchase it today from Oasis Supply http://www.oasissupply.com in fact. They are having a 4th of July Sale and all products are 20% off.

missleilanie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missleilanie Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 9:13pm
post #44 of 47

regarding rolling fondant: i used to have a problem with fondant sticking to the rolling surface. i tried powdered sugar but then it makes the fondant really sweet and stains darker color fondants. i tried brushing crisco on the surface and that helped in the sticking but then your fondant is all shiny and oily. ***it wasn't until i bought a large self healing cutting mat that i was able to roll out fondant and not worry about sticking or using powdered sugar or crisco. hope this helps.

Tarina-rina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tarina-rina Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 5:02am
post #45 of 47

Hi yes I have used it. I like although it is a little more expensive than Satin Ice which I also like. Fondx has a great taste. anyone who uses Wilton brand fondant needs to have their head examined! Ha Ha Have you used Satin Ice?

Jan14grands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jan14grands Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 2:16pm
post #46 of 47

I love FONDX - tastes great and is so easy to work with.

bundlesofjoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bundlesofjoy Posted 24 Sep 2013 , 7:53pm
post #47 of 47

I love Fondx and Fondx Elite! :D It has a great taste and easily rolls out. Compared to other fondant, its by far the best for me in quality and price wise. Their colored fondant is also great too and doesn't fade. (***y Pink Fondx is awesome! lol) Its hard to find in local cake supply stores so I have to purchase directly from their site. Shipping is always a pain but if you buy directly from their website (www.Caljavaonline.com) you can always catch their latest sales and they usually some fondx on sale :) 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%