Adding Fresh Strawberries - How Far Ahead?

Decorating By Homemade-Goodies Updated 24 Jun 2009 , 10:20pm by Homemade-Goodies

Homemade-Goodies Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 7:30pm
post #1 of 6

I have strawberry cake that will have whipped cream & fresh strawberry slices for filling, cream cheese frosting outside, and lots and lots of sliced strawberries for garnish all over the cake. My real problem is that I am putting it together tonight, refrigerating tomorrow, and delivering tomorrow evening to the restaurant where the wedding lunch/dinner will be...the next day.

How badly will my strawberry slices wilt, or bleed all over the frosting??? They are topnotch berries, firm and large. I'd hate to turn it over Thursday night to have it be served Friday afternoon all messy looking.

Good news is it's not a traditional wedding cake, more of a large fancy cake...but still, you want it to still look presentable when seen by the wedding party.

Ok, does anyone know their berries and cakes?????

Your help is appreciated!!!!

Tanja

5 replies
Homemade-Goodies Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 8:19pm
post #2 of 6

Anyone??

nancyg Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 8:24pm
post #3 of 6

Sorry. I can't help, but I too would like the answer

Good Luck

Beckalita Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 8:34pm
post #4 of 6

Anytime you have strawberries coming in contact with sugar they will juice up, especially if they are sliced...I would put it together as close to the time of the luncheon as you can and deliver it right before if possible. Two days is too long!

matthewkyrankelly Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 8:43pm
post #5 of 6

OK - Skip the whipped cream. It only holds up for a short period of time. I would hate to see the middle of that cake turn into a puddle. Now, make sure the cake is sealed with a good crumb coat or heated strawberry or apricot preserves. Just paint it on like spackle to seal the cake. You don't want those berries to juice up too much and soak the whole bottom layer or it will fall apart. Create a thick dam before you fill with strawberries and second layer. Do not overfill. Frost and chill and you should be OK.

Additionally, if you want to add a little fill to the berries, Heat some preserves in the microwave. Throw in a splash of lemon juice, hint of vanilla, and maybe a sprinkle of nutmeg. The lemon will give it a very fresh taste without making it taste like lemons.

Homemade-Goodies Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 10:20pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks everyone...appreciate it!!!

Tanja

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%