What Would You Do... Need Quick Replies!!

Decorating By Cake_Geek Updated 24 Jun 2009 , 11:53pm by jaybug

Cake_Geek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Geek Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 6:38pm
post #1 of 15

I made a gift box cake for my sister's friend's baby shower that has a lid to it separate from the cake but it sits squarely on the cake. The problem is now that I'm done with it, I think the lid is a little big for the cake. It is about a 1/2" wide for the cake. The lid is foamboard covered in black fondant.

Would you try to fix it or leave it be? I have a gumpast bow on the lid so I can't entire trash it because I don't have time to make a new bow. I was thinking I could leave it be or I could try to slice thru the fondant and foamboard on the one side to then try to re-attach it smaller, or cut off all 4 sides and just use fondant strips to make the sides ?

make sense? leave it be? do it again? ugh!!

forgot to add, I don't have the time to do alot or fix any real major screwups b/c I'm leaving town tomorrow.

Here are some pics. The one you can see I can fit my pinky between the lid and cake.
I don't know why the pictures are added twice. I tried to fix it but it still happened!
Dia
LL
LL
LL
LL

14 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 6:42pm
post #2 of 15

Leave it! You'll probably be the only one who notices it, believe me. Don't say anything about it, either. If you draw attention to it then everyone will notice it, but if you keep quiet nobody will say a word.

noyhoward Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noyhoward Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 6:43pm
post #3 of 15

I don't have the answer for you but will give you a Bump.

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 6:44pm
post #4 of 15

I'd leave it ... I hate to see you open "pandora's box" and then have more problems to fix!

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 6:44pm
post #5 of 15

can you change up the desing a bit and have the lid lean against the cake?
Place "tissue paper" on top of the cake then lean the board.

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 6:46pm
post #6 of 15

Weigh your benefit and risk...we are our won worst critics. I could understand if this cake was for a job interview for say...Weinstock or Stewart. What if you cut all the edges and it was crooked?? Or if the strips of fondant end up lumpy, God forbid. I bet your cake is beautiful as is. Just my 2 cents.

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 6:46pm
post #7 of 15

I'd leave it...everytime I notice something like that on one of my cakes, no one else notices and it just calls attention to it! I'm sure that's the case, here! HTH!

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 6:56pm
post #8 of 15

I'll do as cupcakemkr says, it's the easiest fix and I promise, nobody will notice (unless they pull out a measuring tape, hahaha) icon_lol.gif

Cake_Geek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Geek Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 6:59pm
post #9 of 15

I would change the design but my sister really requested it to look this way. I'll have to call her to see, because I do have enough white and green fondant to make tissue

On second look, I can't do it b/c I don't have enough room on the board for the lid to lean against the cake.

annieluz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annieluz Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 8:57pm
post #10 of 15

i think it looks fine the way it is... i think that you should leave it... no one will notice... and if someone does happen to be carrying some measuring tape, then I would assume it will only be used to measure the mommy-to-be's belly!! icon_wink.gif

Anyways, I think it came out great... don't risk ruining the cake for something no one else will notice!

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 9:41pm
post #11 of 15

The cake is beautiful...... get your fingers out of it, and no one else will know ! icon_lol.gif

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 10:30pm
post #12 of 15

there are plenty of hatboxes in the galleries that have tissue paper coming out, but the lid is not leaning against the cake. you can slide ithe lid over just a bit to look like it's just been loosely placed back on the top and have the majority of the tissue coming out from that corner.

3SheetCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3SheetCakes Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 11:42pm
post #13 of 15

I think it looks great how it is. Don't stress yourself out over fixing it. It's beautiful. I think your sister will love it!

littlewoman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlewoman Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 11:50pm
post #14 of 15

I am going with tissue paper just coming out from under the edge....otherwise I wouldn't attempt anything it is beautiful

jaybug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaybug Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 11:53pm
post #15 of 15

I would leave it alone. Looks great to me! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%