Fading Lavender!! Help

Baking By pinkbox Updated 27 Jun 2009 , 1:42pm by -Tubbs

pinkbox Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 4:51pm
post #1 of 14

I have a Lavender wedding cake coming up this weekend and I made my fondant... 20# of it to make sure I had enough.

I pulled out a swatch like I always do and rolled it out and let it dry... (so I can practice painting on it to play around)

I did this yesterday. I looked this morning and it had TURNED GREY!! PALE GREY!! The swatch that is.

What happened? How can I fix this?

I used Pink from americolor and Violet from Wilton... I have florescent lights... would that do it?

HELPPPP!!!

13 replies
AZCakeGirl Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 5:00pm
post #2 of 14

I had problems with the Wilton violet color fading as well. Try any other brand & you will probably have better results. I also usually make my purple or lavender fondant a tiny shade darker than what I want it since it does tend to fade more quickly than most other colors. Keeping it out of the light should help too.

-K8memphis Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 5:00pm
post #3 of 14

Yes, the pink is notorious for fading from this color. Yes keeping it out of the light helps preserve the color. I think I'd stay prepared to air brush it or paint it as late as possible. Deliver boxed for sure.

CakeMommyTX Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 5:02pm
post #4 of 14

Florescent lights do fade color but I've alway had the opposite proplem with Violet or Purple, it always turns darker and bluish. Wish I could help, here's a bump for ya icon_smile.gif

tinygoose Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 5:03pm
post #5 of 14

I have problems with pink and purple all the time. My lavendar teacup cake the fondant on the bottom you can actually watch it fade....to blueish grey. Sorry, I don't know how to fix it, but would love to know.

Unlimited Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 5:07pm
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkbox

I have florescent lights... would that do it?

HELPPPP!!!

Oh yea! Florescent lights are the worst! But it can also happen with other lighting and sunlight too.

Pink fades to white, Purple fades to blue, and Red tends to get darker as it sets.

Can you mix it darker at this point? Even if it was on the cake, I'd peel it off, tint darker than needed and see what you get tomorrow if you've got the time to wait.

Gale Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 5:14pm
post #7 of 14

I don't know about fondant but with bc icing and Wilton purple or violet dye, you have to add just a drop or two of milk to get it to turn purple or lavendar. Otherwise it is a periwinkle blue.

chefbetty Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 5:22pm
post #8 of 14

I don't know if this will help you, but Kelleym gave me a great suggestion when I needed to make lavender. She suggested grape kool aid, I tried it and it worked also it ended up smelling like bubbalicious bubble gum. Hope this helps.

Chef Betty icon_biggrin.gif

AZCakeGirl Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 5:26pm
post #9 of 14

Grape Kool-aid, WOW, that's interesting! So, do you use it as a powder or put some liquid into it before you mix it with the fondant???

pinkbox Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 5:33pm
post #10 of 14

Thx everyone I appreciate the help. Im going to have to see how I can fix this. I will give you an update as to how I fixed this problem... if Im able to ...*sigh* I was really hoping to NOT have to recolor haha. But a color wash perhaps?

Keep you posted and thanks for everyones help!

Danielle1218 Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 5:47pm
post #11 of 14

My lavendar often ends up with aqua colored specks in it (I am talking buttercream). Anyone else have that happen?? Anyone know why this happens??

chefbetty Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 5:48pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCakeGirl

Grape Kool-aid, WOW, that's interesting! So, do you use it as a powder or put some liquid into it before you mix it with the fondant???

I added liquid to it and applied it to the fondant with a toothpick and needed it and kept adding until it came out the lavender shade I wanted. In my pictures is the Sweet 16 cake I did the bow for that color.

Chef Betty thumbs_up.gif

pinkbox Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 7:58pm
post #13 of 14

I noticed that out of the two fondant swatches... .the one I rubbed down with shortening afterward to get the powdered sugar off seemed to hold its color. hmmmm.... will keep testing. and keep you posted moreicon_smile.gif

-Tubbs Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 1:42pm
post #14 of 14

Wow! Great catch to test a small amount before putting it on the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%