So Excited! I Have Access To A Commercial Kitchen-Now What?

Business By rharris524 Updated 25 Jun 2009 , 11:44pm by 1234me

rharris524 Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 4:36pm
post #1 of 9

I just bartered for use of a commercial kitchen. I'm so excited that I can hardly stand it!!! But, I know that getting the kitchen was just the first step to being 'legal.' Now what do I do? Do I get licensing or insurance first? Who do I need to call to get licensed? What kind of insurance do I need and where do I get that? Thank you all, you've been so helpful as I've been struggling with this!

8 replies
ntertayneme Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 4:48pm
post #2 of 9

I guess it would depend on what state you're located in what the next process would be.

Try this link to your state and see if they have information on what your next step may be:


kokopuff Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 5:00pm
post #3 of 9

I would get your license and tax info. taken care of first.Once you have your tax ID # you won't have to pay taxes on the stuff you purchase and some of the places you will probably be wanting to order from require it,they can't do buisiness with you otherwise.

rharris524 Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 6:59pm
post #4 of 9

Ok, I just got off of the phone with the FL dept of agriculture adn set up an inspection...I'm so excited that I can't sit still!!!

djs328 Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 7:07pm
post #5 of 9

WOW - that's great! Congrats! I'm jealous! icon_wink.gif If it's not too personal - may I ask what you bartered for? I'd like to 'get legal' myself sometime in the future and am interested in the creative ways people are making it happen...thanks!

rharris524 Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 7:29pm
post #6 of 9

Well, what I do for a living is that I co-own Kathi's Klowns (clowns, magicians, puppets, etc). I am giving them a clown to do face painting and balloons for a 'family night' once a week at my they are getting one heck of a deal and I'm not out any money!

indydebi Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 7:41pm
post #7 of 9

Contact your insurance agent ..... he/she knows the state laws, what's required, what the minimums are, etc. He/she can shop the various companies they represent to find the company who will give you the best deal.

kokopuff Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 3:27pm
post #8 of 9

That's a great idea debi. I wish I had known all this stuff 10 years ago when I had opened my own shop,which I failed at misserably but since coming on here I have learned a lot and am almost ready to give it another go but don't let me scare you rharriss524 you have all the cc'rs at your fingertips for help,I'm so excited for you !

1234me Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 11:44pm
post #9 of 9

I work out of a licensed kitchen and called my local health department. They were very helpful in leading me to the right people to see the exact "rules" that I have to follow. I have a DBA, tax id #, etc. I ersonally am not licensed yet but I am working on it. I have taken the food safety course - BORING BUT EDUCATIONAL.

Quote by @%username% on %date%