Help With Lemon Curd Filling In A Fondant Covered Cake

Decorating By Pistol Updated 24 Jun 2009 , 5:01pm by Pistol

Pistol Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 3:47pm
post #1 of 5

I am doing a cake that will have a lemon curd filling but it will be covered in fondant. Do I have to refrigerate the cake since it has a lemon curd filling? I am afraid that if I put the fondant covered cake in the refrigerator that the fondant will bead up or get glossy when it is taken out of the fridge. It is supposed to be in the 90's and will be indoors but I am worried about transporting it in the heat and the fondant getting glossy. Can anyone help me or make any suggestions? Many thanks.

4 replies
PinkZiab Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 4:20pm
post #2 of 5

It must be refrigerated with fresh lemon curd. Your options are to either use a shelf-stable filling, or just refrigerate the cake but when you remove it and transport it, have the AC on high and don't touch the cake until the condensation has evaporated.

All of my cakes are fondant covered and I refrigerate every last one (all of my fillings require it). I use Satin Ice fondant and have never had an issue due to refrigeration.

Pistol Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 4:32pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you so much. I use Satin Ice as well but wasn't sure about refrigerating the whole cake and then taking it out. I have put fondant accents on cakes that I used buttercream on and when I took them out of the refrigerator the fondant got glossy. Maybe I didn't have it cool enough? I will be delivering it to someone and then they will be serving it a little later in the day (couple hours). Should I tell them to put it back in the refrigerator? Or just keep it out until they serve it? Again, many thanks for your help.

PinkZiab Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 4:56pm
post #4 of 5

Usually after delivery I tell them to leave it out for a couple of hours before serving, so that the buttercream under the fondant has time to soften

Pistol Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 5:01pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you so much for your help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%