I Got A Copyright Release!!!

Business By jillmakescakes Updated 26 Jun 2009 , 3:31pm by katherinem

jillmakescakes Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 2:53pm
post #1 of 20

So a customer wanted their kid's favorite cartoon cake. I explained copyright laws and they asked if I had ever asked for a release. A bit surprised, I said "No, but I can sure try!" Guess what, (like you don't know from the subject icon_lol.gif )

The assistant to the creator emailed back and gave me the go-ahead!!! I'm so excited. This upped their order from a basic $40 cake to an over the top, but super cute $150!!!

19 replies
Misdawn Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 2:56pm
post #2 of 20

Awesome! How did you know who to contact to get permission?

CakeForte Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 3:16pm
post #3 of 20

Yay! What was the character?

jillmakescakes Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 3:24pm
post #4 of 20

It was PBS show and when I looked on the website, it had "contact us" info, so that was where I sent it. I use "Copyright release for Cake" as the subject line!

Yankie Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 3:27pm
post #5 of 20

Why do you have to ask for a release..is it a pan thats in the market?

mommicakes Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 3:42pm
post #6 of 20

What a coup!!!! Jill. I'm glad that it upped the cake for you, I bet your client was extremely pleased.

costumeczar Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 3:44pm
post #7 of 20

I've called local colleges before and asked what their policy is on using the mascot logos on cakes. They pretty much say that as long as it's an occasional thing they don't mind...It never hurts to ask!

crazycaker Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 4:11pm
post #8 of 20

Yay for you! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

It's great you got a better order, but most of all, YAY for doing the right thing!

It's ironic how CC gets upset over "stolen picture" but a few (a vocal minority, I hope) heedlessly "steal" logos from others. Hey -- let's all respect each other as artists.

YAY again! (And, like you, I turn down direct copies of logos, but it's good to know that clearances can be given). icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

Juds2323 Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 4:21pm
post #9 of 20

Joffy - even if there was a character pan available it has it stamped on their for home use only. So you cannot sell it. The copyrighted images should not be used without permission. There are many threads on this do a search for copyright. Disney is notorious for making sure their images aren't used in anything without their approval. By selling a cake modeled after their character you are technically making money off their protected image.

HTH

Judi

cylstrial Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 4:33pm
post #10 of 20

That's so good to hear! I've been wanting to make a copyrighted character for my son's b-day in a few months. So I've been planning to contact them and ask. Thanks for sharing!!

costumeczar Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 4:39pm
post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

That's so good to hear! I've been wanting to make a copyrighted character for my son's b-day in a few months. So I've been planning to contact them and ask. Thanks for sharing!!

If it's just for you and you aren't selling it you can do them. It's only if you are selling them that you need permission. I assume you're not going to make your son pay you for his cake, so you should be fine! icon_biggrin.gif

Mensch Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 5:18am
post #12 of 20

Well done Jill!

miny Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 5:37am
post #13 of 20

Very clever, I love PBS characters and some of them are so difficult to find in paper goods for the party, less getting a cake!

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 3:09pm
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by miny

Very clever, I love PBS characters and some of them are so difficult to find in paper goods for the party, less getting a cake!

Yes. Their characters are much less commercialized than others. I really like their website. There are tons of free printouts that can be used for parties, from invites to party hats to games. (We've had PBS-inspired parties for the past few years now.) I just get solid color paper goods and use a lot of the printouts for the decorations. This year we did Ruff Ruffman and for the party favors, printed out a pic of Ruff & Blossom onto t-shirt transfer paper and ironed to orange t-shirts for each kids. They loved it, as did the parents. The kids are already talking about what t-shirt they're going to get next year!

miny Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 5:33pm
post #15 of 20

That's a great tip, thanks! IMO this kind of parties are the best, more personalized just as our cakes!

kellertur Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 4:15am
post #16 of 20

I received copyright release for a Transformers cake, but after going through the process, the customer backed out. So now I have the letter sitting in my file cabinet "just in case". It surprised me too when I got the "ok".

I think all they really want is the respect of someone asking to use their work, especially if a profit is going to be made off their design, etc. icon_smile.gif

katherinem Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 4:29am
post #17 of 20

Who exactly are you contacting and how long ago was it for the Transformers cake?

kellertur Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 2:58pm
post #18 of 20

I contacted their legal department. It was about 2 months ago for a one time cake. I did not specify when the cake was going to be made.

FromScratch Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 3:19pm
post #19 of 20

Oh how cool!! And veen cooler for the Transformers... I'd have never thought. I'll be calling to see if it okay to do some characters now. Disney is near impossible... but it's nice to know others are more reasonable. icon_smile.gif

katherinem Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 3:31pm
post #20 of 20

this is so interesting since every bakery i know does these types of cakes obviously without permission. One of the most well-known cake companies in Orlando has done several for me in the past with my sons birthday (a big Pooh cake and a lightning mcqueen/mater cake as well)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%