Product Labeling For Home-Based Businesses

Business By lamariposa Updated 25 Jun 2009 , 5:41pm by MichelleM77

lamariposa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lamariposa Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 2:50pm
post #1 of 5

For your product labels, did you include nutrition information. I know all products have to be labeled with all the ingredients but I was unsure about adding the nutrition information. I read that according to federal law, if you make less than $50, 000 and have less than 100 employess, you are exempt from this. Has anyone had an inspector say anything about your labels?

4 replies
cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 6:18pm
post #2 of 5

When I had my cakery, I did not need to have the nutrition values on my labels. You should be ok without that info.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 6:45pm
post #3 of 5

It might depend on where you are, too. In Virginia they require labels if you're not the one doing the direct sale and delivery, but you don't have to label if you deliver the cake. The inspector told me that as long as you have a chance to talk directly to the customer and answer questions, you don't need a label. If you're selling things through another store you have to have labels because you won't be there to answer questions.

HeidiCrumbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeidiCrumbs Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 2:35am
post #4 of 5

I'm sure that it depends on the state, but for WI all you need is the ingredient and allergen list. It was never even mentioned that I would need the nutrition stuff. I wouldn't even know how to do that!

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 5:41pm
post #5 of 5

I've heard it costs a lot of money to get the nutritional value of your items figured out because it has to be done scientifically and not just a calculator feature online or something. In Ohio we have the same exemption you are referring to as far as not having to state nutritional value if less than $50,000.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%