Flower Nail Rust...

Decorating By PennySue Updated 28 Jun 2009 , 4:42am by sweetcakes

PennySue Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 2:12pm
post #1 of 20

I noticed that my flower nail rusted a bit in a cake I just baked. I bored out the area around the nail to be sure that there was no problem, but I don't want that to happen again. Has anyone seen this? The nail was a Wilton nail. I've been using nails for a while and I've never had this happen before. Brand new nail, too. Yuck!

19 replies
Kimmers971 Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 2:38pm
post #2 of 20

I noticed my Wilton nails changing color and starting to use after baking with them too. Time to find better quality product or an alternative method.

PennySue Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 11:57pm
post #3 of 20

It seems odd that we are the only two that this has happened to. I wonder what everyone else is using that works.

Kimmers971 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 12:00am
post #4 of 20

PennySue: I don't know - maybe we got a bad batch icon_confused.gif

MJoycake Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 12:06am
post #5 of 20

it's happened to two of mine too

auntmamie Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 12:48am
post #6 of 20

Mine Too! Although, it's not just the Wilton nails - the ones I got at countrykitchen did the same thing.

drakegore Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 1:35am
post #7 of 20

mine too....

Renaejrk Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 1:45am
post #8 of 20

mine too! I'm constantly buying new ones! I wonder if we could put some kind of protective/heat resistant coating on them? IDK

Edibleconcept Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 1:53am
post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennySue

It seems odd that we are the only two that this has happened to. I wonder what everyone else is using that works.

Hey Penny & my Cake Central Family. It probably is happening to everyone, just not many has stumbled on this post. Anywho, I have a "No fail" remedy for rust. Baking Soda! Yes, this tried & trusty product can wipe out rust easily. Just use about a teaspoon with a few drops of water to make a paste. Smear it on the rust, work in gentle circles, & rinse. Voila!
This secret will save you money & many nails, cake pans, cookware, etc. So glad I read this & could help. Blessings to everyone & Happy Baking! thumbs_up.gif

conb Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 1:58am
post #10 of 20

This is a little off of the subject, but why would you bake with a flower nail in the cake? icon_eek.gif

Tammy21122 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 2:00am
post #11 of 20

I was told that they could be used as a heating element while baking by my Wilton instructor

Renaejrk Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 2:02am
post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by conb

This is a little off of the subject, but why would you bake with a flower nail in the cake? icon_eek.gif

A lot of us on CC have been using this trick for a while - you grease/flour the nail and turn it upside down, put it (or several) in the middle of the cake pan, and voila! - you have a level cake! it works as a heating core!thumbs_up.gif

and - Edibleconcept - THANK YOU!!! I still have my rusted ones, so now I can get them usable again!!! yes!

jaybug Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 2:07am
post #13 of 20

mine too! Thanks for the tip Edibleconcept! icon_biggrin.gif

PennySue Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 3:28am
post #14 of 20

I knew you all were out there somewhere! Thanks for the tip, Edibleconcept, about baking soda. I use it for lots of things, but didn't think about the nails. I was thinking of wrapping it with foil to keep it from rusting in the cake again. Or I just might have my son weld something that would work the same out of stainless steel.

Loucinda Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 12:43pm
post #15 of 20

If you look closely at your flower nails, they are actually REAL nails with the top put on them!

Edibleconcept Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 3:03pm
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennySue

I knew you all were out there somewhere! Thanks for the tip, Edibleconcept, about baking soda. I use it for lots of things, but didn't think about the nails. I was thinking of wrapping it with foil to keep it from rusting in the cake again. Or I just might have my son weld something that would work the same out of stainless steel.

You all are extremely welcome icon_wink.gif We are all here for one another & that's what makes CC ROCK!

Katiekatiekatie Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 3:10pm
post #17 of 20

The SAME thing happened to mine and of course I yelled at the dishwasher! Because I didnt examine them when I removed them from the cake I assumed they rusted from being wet too long...

OOPS! I did throw them away and buy more.. Now I know.

Katie

KELNAL74 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 7:46pm
post #18 of 20

Mine rusted and all I've used them for is flower making. Glad I haven't thrown them out yet. I'm going to try the baking soda trick.

Thanks!

muddpuppy Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 12:22am
post #19 of 20

When mine get rusty, I was and scrub 'em really good with like, steel wool to get the rust off then rub them with a little veggie oil. It stops the rust from coming back for a little while atleast.. icon_wink.gif

sweetcakes Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 4:42am
post #20 of 20

just cut yourself a 2" sq piece of parchment paper andpoke the nail through it, the naid head then will not make contact with the batter.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%