Topsy Turvey In Buttercream??

Decorating By tonimarie Updated 24 Jun 2009 , 3:53pm by tonimarie

tonimarie Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 1:00pm
post #1 of 4

I have to make a Dora cake. I would really like to make a topsy turvey cake, but the client only wants buttercream icon_cry.gif I have only made one topsy turvey and that was with fondant--so fun and easy. Is it really hard to do with buttercream? I'm specifically wondering how to stack them without smashing the buttercream in and not so sure about smoothing it so it looks nice...........should I go for it or just do something else?

3 replies
Loucinda Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 1:15pm
post #2 of 4

I have only done 2 TT cakes, but both of them were buttercream. It wasn't a problem, the very edge that may get a little messed up is covered with the trim you put around the layers anyhow!

matthewkyrankelly Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 1:29pm
post #3 of 4

Go for it. I made mine in buttercream. If you use the method where you crumb each tier and then cut out the tops to fit the next layer, you'll have no problem. Just let each tier firm up in the fridge or freezer. Assembly is like any tiered cake. And, once assembled, you just pipe a border as you would with any cake.

I would even frost in a final color before assembling the tiers. Extra decoration can be added after assembly. That worked best for me. You don't get the weird angles for frosting the layers that way.

tonimarie Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 3:53pm
post #4 of 4

thanks....I'm leaning towards it, but this morning I found another inspiration cake, so I'm not sure what to do.......

Quote by @%username% on %date%