No One There For Delivery-Grrr

Decorating By Cheyanne25 Updated 25 Jun 2009 , 11:24am by iownajane

Cheyanne25 Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 11:14am
post #1 of 16

I am sooo angry right now. I've just started out into doing cakes, and I mostly do them for friends and family. However I've make one exception for a public school that my friend's children attend. I had been donating cakes for some of their cake raffles for years (even before I really knew how to decorate) and a few months ago their Principal asked me to do some cakes for her.

I agreed, and I've done a few for her personally. And the Parent Council decided to get me to do the grade 6 grade/farewell cake for today.

I always deliver the cakes to her at the school. The last cake I did she never got back to me on if she'd like it brought in the evening before or the morning of. I don't drive (working on it) and my boyfriend works during the day. So either he drives me to deliver before work, or after work. It ended up working well for that cake because he got some time off during the day and we could deliver when the school was open.

Now for this grad cake (which is the blue and silver one in my pics) I had made SURE to get her to commit to a delivery time. I sent her TWO emails (because she didn't respond to the first one after a few days) telling her that it can be delivered either 6:45 am or 5:30 pm, not during the day. She responded and told me (with my typing highlighted) that Wednesday morning would be fine.

So my boyfriend decides to deliver the cake on his own (figures he can handle it and he would rather save the time from driving back home to drop me off). He leaves with it, and then a little while later calls me. There's no one at the school, and the doors are locked. I call the school, sure enough no answer.

My boyfriend ended up leaving the cake with the friend whose children go to the school. She's the head of the parent's council and she'll be helping with the grad/farewell. But I feel horrible having wasted my boyfriend's (I should probably say fiance) time. And I really hate leaving my cake in someone else's hands/passing off the responsiblity of delivering it to someone else.

I left a message at the school, as well as sending the principal an email. Telling them that the cake was there at the agreed upon time, and no one was there to receive it. I also stated that it was an inconvenience and I don't know what went wrong as I had clearly indicated what time we would be there.

Am I right to be angry? I would never have expected this kind of thing from a principal (guess I shouldn't stereotype).

15 replies
jaybug Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 11:24am
post #2 of 16

You have every right to be angry! Totally pisses me off when someone wastes anothers time and thinks nothing of it! The nerve of some people... icon_mad.gif

iownajane Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 11:25am
post #3 of 16

I think you're right to be angry...I looked at you cake,and it's wonderful....I would have been afraid to let someone else deliver it(I don't drive either...I would have ben on the floor of our van beside it icon_biggrin.gif ...I don't blame you one bit...my boyfriend would have said "no way" to delivering something like that alone..dirt roads here...too risky
So did anyone answer you? Did they love it?

grama_j Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 11:29am
post #4 of 16

This is rather difficult, because even though she agreed to come to work a couple of hours early to accept delivery on the cake, it would be VERY easy to forget.... I think I would have CALLED her...... not e-mail....and confirmed the day before.... OR.... she should have picked it up the night before...

Cheyanne25 Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 11:43am
post #5 of 16

She sent me an email. Apparently she did know that it was this morning that the cake was being delivered, but she can't drop her daughter off at daycare until 7:15.

Maybe I'm unreasonable, but I think it's her own responsbility to pick the time (and be there) that would work for her! icon_mad.gif

She's gone to pick up the cake from my friend now. Hopefully all goes well.

aundrea Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 12:03pm
post #6 of 16

I think you are validated in feeling upset. The time and cost to make cakes goes unnoticed by people who don't do cakes. And when cakes are donated like yours it is very upsetting when people on the receiving end don't hold up to the agreement. At the very least to contact you.
My first thought was maybe something came up. Then re- reading your post it looks like she isn't that great in responding. Maybe being a principal she is over whelmed with the duties of end of year activities and in the future can assign donations to someone else.
I hope everything turned out well. Your cakes are lovely and you have a great talent.
Your fiance is a saint to help you with this. You are a lucky girl.

cylstrial Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 12:43pm
post #7 of 16

I would definitely be upset too. If you make a cake again, perhaps you should suggest that she come and pick it up from you.

grama_j Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 12:57pm
post #8 of 16

Well, SHEEZZZEEE ! If she KNEW that, then why did she okay the delivery time !?

Cheyanne25 Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 9:57pm
post #9 of 16

Oh my, this just keeps getting worse.

My boyfriend came home from work and he had talked to the friend of mine that was on the parent council. Apparently the principal didn't appreciate my phone message (I really wasn't rude, just stated that I was disappointed that no one was there when we came to deliver). Also there was a dreaded 'we could have gotten 4 sheet cakes for that price' comment.

I didn't charge the school much, you guys are probably gonna beat me, but a whopping $85 was what they paid for the cake. I wanted to cover cost of ingredients and supplies (it was an expensive cake; chocolate mudcake with chocolate ganache (holy did I use a lot of chocolate)).

If you wanted sheet cakes, they why did you go shopping for a custom cake!!! GRRRRR

Unlimited Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 11:36pm
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheyanne25

I didn't charge the school much, you guys are probably gonna beat me, but a whopping $85 was what they paid for the cake. I wanted to cover cost of ingredients and supplies (it was an expensive cake; chocolate mudcake with chocolate ganache (holy did I use a lot of chocolate)).

If you wanted sheet cakes, they why did you go shopping for a custom cake!!! GRRRRR

OMG! $85!!!!! (if it's the TIERED blue cake w/stars?)... My hubby doesn't know much about cakes, but he would expect to pay a couple/few hundred dollars for that! What he doesn't know, is that if it looks like a wedding cake - it's going to cost like a wedding cake in which case you need to inform the principal that it would sell for $500 - $750 elsewhere! Good job! You need to find new customers if they weren't happy with that SWEET deal.

beanbean Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 12:01am
post #11 of 16

I would discuss this woman's unprofessional behavior with the school superintendent or your Board of Education. A short letter should indicate that you provided an exceptional cake at an approximate discount of 75% OFF and were greatly inconvenienced with the hassle of her not showing up for the agreed upon delivery of the cake. In addition, you have concerns with the offhanded negative comments their employee is making against your business and professional reputation.

It is frustrating to deal with obnoxious customers such as this woman. However, because you support your town's school system as a tax-paying resident you have every right to complain regarding the behavior of a town employee.

Evoir Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 12:11am
post #12 of 16

I'm so sorry this happened to you. That was very disrespectful to you, and your kind, generous contribution.

quietude Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 12:20am
post #13 of 16

It was a really cute cake, and for the price - she should have been sending you praises. If I were you, I simply wouldn't do business with her again.

dynee Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 12:33am
post #14 of 16

Cheyenne,
You seem very young to me.(believe me not an insult). First of all after teaching in public school for 26.5 years, I have learned that you can't expect a school principal to have any better character than any other human. Don't let her intimidate you. She was the rude one to gripe about that beautiful cake and SHE was the one who picked the time. If you ever grace her with another cake insist that she arrange to have it picked up. Be sure to give her a window of time that suits both of you and let her know that your time is as valuable to you as hers is to her. Stick to your guns,kid!

Cheyanne25 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 11:15am
post #15 of 16

Thanks for all the support and nice comments about my cake. It helps so much to know that there are other's out there who understand how I feel.

I got in contact with my friend who is on the parent council and thanked her for taking the cake yesterday morning, as well as apologizing that it got dumped on her.

I think because it is the end of the school year, I won't be faced with a decision of making another cake for the school. But I have decided to definitely not do any more for the principal personally. As my boyfriend put it 'she obviously doesn't respect the time and talent it takes to make your cakes, you don't need that kind of customer'. (he is the most amazing guy!) icon_biggrin.gif)

From what I have heard people did like the cake itself, and I think that's the most important part.

Thanks again to all of you that replied.

iownajane Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 11:24am
post #16 of 16

[quote="Cheyanne25"]Oh my, this just keeps getting worse.

My boyfriend came home from work and he had talked to the friend of mine that was on the parent council. Apparently the principal didn't appreciate my phone message (I really wasn't rude, just stated that I was disappointed that no one was there when we came to deliver). Also there was a dreaded 'we could have gotten 4 sheet cakes for that price' comment.

If you wanted sheet cakes, they why did you go shopping for a custom cake!!! GRRRRR[/quotI think...you DON'T NEED her business...your BF is right!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%