Bright Colors

Decorating By amy81 Updated 26 Jun 2009 , 12:53am by amy81

amy81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amy81 Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 6:12am
post #1 of 8

My SIL wants a cake with bright neon colors for my nieces' birthday party. I was going to order Americolor from Global Sugar Art. The shipping is going to cost me almost as much as the order. All I'm ordering is four small bottles of color and one gumpaste cutter and the shipping is over $9.

Does anyone know if I can get sort of neon colors with the Wilton colors or if I can use liquid food coloring for MMF? I have the McCormick's neon food coloring, but I wasn't sure if it would work in MMF or not.

7 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 7:18am
post #2 of 8

You can use liquid color in mmf if you put it in when you add the water. I don't think it would work well trying to knead it in.

Wilton's Rose pink (not rose petal) will make a hot pink shade. I think if you made a golden yellow and added a tiny bit of leaf green, it would probably make neon green.

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 11:03am
post #3 of 8

I bought the Americolor bright colors for a cake order once and didn't think I would get much use out of them but I use them all the time! The yellow is great for softballs, the pink and blue are great too. Love the green to make a lime green color. I know the shipping seems expensive but you will get great use of them!

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 5:10pm
post #4 of 8

McCormick makes neon food colors, you should be able to buy them in your grocery store.

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 6:14pm
post #5 of 8

the americolor electric colors are fantastic. the lime is one of my favorite colors and i use it all the time. the blue is also great!

i have the mccormick and they are going to yield a much softer color.

try fondantsource.com or ebay to see if you can get better shipping - i usually find good bargains and good shipping at both places.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 6:15pm
post #6 of 8

I don't now why they McCormick Neon gels wouldn't work in MMF.

I love Wilton Rose for bright pink, lemon yellow for bright yellow and I think the leaf green is a bright color as well.

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 6:56pm
post #7 of 8

why did f o n da n t sourc e get blocked?

i DID NOT type in "try globalsugarart.com. how did my post get physically changed to read something i did NOT type in. i love globalsugar and order from them, but postage was the op's concern and there are cheaper postage options.

i am not upset about the blocking, but i am upset that my post was changed. that is not right.

amy81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amy81 Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 12:53am
post #8 of 8

Thanks everyone. I did go ahead and order the Americolors from Global Sugar Art and hopefully they will get here in time. If not I will definitely try mixing some of the Wilton colors like some of you suggested and probably try the McCormick neon colors.

I will also check out fondant source next time I need to order. If their shipping is cheaper I would probably go with them. My total for my whole order from GSA was only $14 and then I had to pay $9 for shipping, and that was the cheapest shipping method.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%