I Need Help!

Decorating By pinkslppr Updated 24 Jun 2009 , 11:48pm by pinkslppr

pinkslppr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkslppr Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 2:13am
post #1 of 10

Please help. I am ready to pull my hair out. I need to make this cake for my son. I make everyone else's. I lost my directions that I got from the lady who made a blue gelatine bow. Does anyone have those directions?
Also, I am still trying to use that awful 10 lb. batch of Satin Ice fondant. I've tried adding water, glucose, glycerine, shortening (not at the same time. I'm aware of chemistry and the importance of adding one at a time). Nothing is working. When I pull it, it just breaks apart. When I rollit out , it breaks as soon as I try to lift it. I haven't had this much trouble with fondant ever. Please, please, please help me. The cake is for tomorrow! icon_cry.gif

9 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 2:17am
post #2 of 10

I think Loucinda is the one with the blue gelatin bow...it's even her picture, right?

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 2:18am
post #3 of 10

Sounds like your fondant is a lost cause. There is a point of no return with fondant. It can only handle so much extra this and that....I'd go get more. Or make some MFF.

sherik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherik Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 2:20am
post #4 of 10

You have to work /knead Satin Ice before you try to roll it out. In the winter or when the A.C. is on I put it in the microwave for a few seconds then work it until it is smooth and it rolls perfectly.

pinkslppr Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 2:31am
post #5 of 10

I did knead it. For an hour trying to get it to be pliable. I also put it in the microwave for 15 seconds to warm it. 2-5 lb. buckets of wasted money and time!

Yes. I think it is Loucinda. I bought the sheets from her and the directions were in it. Does anyone know the directions?

pinkslppr Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 2:48am
post #6 of 10

Okay. I checked out Loucinda and I have the directions. Thankyou very much. Tomorrow morning I will go buy some fondant. From now on I think I will make my MMF like I use to. I can usually count on it when I buy good marshmellows. Kraft's are the best I've found. I was so hoping to be done with this cake so I could relax before his party tomorrow. I couldn't make the Sonic the Hedgehog like he wanted. It's too hard for me. Thankyou and goodnight.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 3:49am
post #7 of 10

I use Satin Ice all of the time, and I can't imagine adding all of that stuff to it--or for kneading it for an hour (you CAN overwork fondant).

What exactly was "wrong" with the Satin Ice"? I sometimes find it a bit too soft, so I usually mix 1/3 Wilton + 2/3 Satin Ice and get a wonderful tasting product that rolls out easily & beautifully.

Rae

pinkslppr Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 11:00pm
post #8 of 10

When you take it out of the package(in this case from bag inside bucket) it does somewhat break apart. You do have to knead it. I kneaded it like I usually do about 10 to 15 mins. Sometimes a little longer. I did this with this fondant and then rolled it out. It rolled out pretty good but when I went to pick it up it broke apart. So I picked it all up and kneaded it again. This time a little longer. Rolled it out and went to pick it up again. Just lifting the edges with my hands broke it apart and I couldn't even get it on the rolling pin to lift it because it already broke apart. I did ths about 4 times. Each time I couldn't get it up because it broke apart. Then in desparation I added some water. Only about 1/2 tablespoon because now I'm thinking maybe rolling it out on the sugar has made it too dry. After 2 hours of messing with it I just started adding other stuff like glucose, glycerine,etc. It didn't have a good consistency from the start. Normally when I've bought fondant, after kneading it, it has a nice stretch somewhat like a chewed piece of gum. You know, it stays together.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 11:28pm
post #9 of 10

Thanks for the details. It helps.

With Satin Ice, you do need to knead in just the slightest amount of crisco. I don't roll on PS or CS because I firmly believe that both powders significantly change fondant workability. I roll on a piece of vinyl or silicone mat smeared with another dab of crisco. I would say that I knead 2 lbs. of fondant for no more than 5 mins. before it's ready to roll.

I can honestly say that after many buckets of SI, I've never had a problem with a crumbly product.

I've dealt with the SI distributor and have found them to be a great company. I'd strongly suggest getting in touch with them and telling them that you have 10lbs. from a bad batch. I'll bet that they'll replace it free of charge.

Satin Fine Foods 845-469-1034 satinfinefoods.com

HTH
Rae

pinkslppr Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 11:48pm
post #10 of 10

Your comment is very helpful. I do need to get one of those silicone mats. It would help a lot. I don't like the mess ps or cs leaves behind. (I don't even like getting my hands dirty!) LOL! Crazy since you have to with cake decorating!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%