Red Velvet Wedding Cake

Decorating By kcmarie Updated 24 Jun 2009 , 12:58pm by costumeczar

kcmarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcmarie Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 12:46am
post #1 of 14

I've got a girl wanting a red velvet wedding cake and all bakeries around here told her they wouldn't do one. I just made one for the first time and notice that it split easily when trying to move it. Has anyone had success with this and do you have any tips on making it firmer for a wedding cake?

13 replies
lamariposa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lamariposa Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 1:04am
post #2 of 14

The wedding cake that I am doing in August will be Red Velvet. I have baked several before but don't know how it will turn out with the fondant on top. I wonder!

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 1:07am
post #3 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmarie

I've got a girl wanting a red velvet wedding cake and all bakeries around here told her they wouldn't do one. I just made one for the first time and notice that it split easily when trying to move it. Has anyone had success with this and do you have any tips on making it firmer for a wedding cake?

Did she say why? Maybe call the bakeries and inquire. I'd love to know.

BakedbyLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakedbyLisa Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 1:15am
post #4 of 14

The receipe I use for red velvet cake is from the cake mix doctor. I've made it several times and covered it in fondant and have not had any issues. It tastes good too, people prefer that receipe to the one I make from scratch! Maybe do a test run first on a smaller cake...good luck! thumbs_up.gif

sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 1:16am
post #5 of 14

I just did a wedding cake that was red velvet. I use this recipe from here Sarah's tweeked red velvet. It is great and I never had any problems and I did a 4 tier and everybody loved it.

linda2530 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linda2530 Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 1:28am
post #6 of 14

I do a lot of red velvet cakes, I make a scratch cake and a box of RV mix, done according to the package and mix the two together. It makes a really good cake and seems to hold together real well. So far everyone has raved about how good it is. Hope that helps.
Linda B.

kcmarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcmarie Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 1:29am
post #7 of 14

Thanks for the replies. I'll try some different recipes too b/c I don't think that the one is used is quite right.

Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 1:32am
post #8 of 14

I have had problems with the red bleeding through the buttercream after a day or so icon_sad.gif

BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 1:40am
post #9 of 14

I am doing RV for my aunt's wedding in a few weeks. I convinced her to do a dummy cake because I was worried that the RV wouldn't hold up to fondant that her design required. If she wanted the cake to be real, I was going to do a RV Pound Cake. She wasn't havin' that, so we are doing the dummy.

Anyway, I did try a RV Pound cake and it was great. Would've held up perfectly under fondant. You may want to try that...I just googled it, don't remember which exact recipe is was.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 1:44am
post #10 of 14

I have done them before without any problems. I use chef stef's recipe from here, but I put a bit less oil than she does. I haven't covered it in fondant though.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 2:27am
post #11 of 14

I would do the RV, buttercream, and fondant. If you are stacking, use the SPS system for surefooted stability. When you google RV wedding cakes, there are tons. I'm guessing local bakeries don't want the hassle of a less than mainstream cake.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 2:34am
post #12 of 14

wonder why the other bakeries wouldn't do it? I do them all them time.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 3:58am
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcheryl

I just did a wedding cake that was red velvet. I use this recipe from here Sarah's tweeked red velvet. It is great and I never had any problems and I did a 4 tier and everybody loved it.

That recipe works for me! Maybe they don't like working with all the red dye?? I don't know why that would be it, but it's a guess.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 12:58pm
post #14 of 14

A lot of the bakeries around here don't do them, either. I think they have their big production schedule and don't want to mess it up by adding a new flavor, don't ask me why. Red velvet cake also has a reputation for being really soft, so if they don't know better (or care to) then they might not want to deal with it.

There was an episode of that wedding planning show where a red velvet cake arrived with the back smashed in. The delivery person used the excuse that red velvet is very soft and fragile, so you just have to take your chances delivering it. HA HA HA. If they had built the cake the right way it wouldn't have collapsed, but a lot of people will believe anything (as we know.)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%