Aussies Can Anyone Help Please!!!

Decorating By JayTeresa Updated 24 Jun 2009 , 9:59am by Elise87

JayTeresa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JayTeresa Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 12:05am
post #1 of 10

Hi everyone, I was just wondering if anyone knows where I can find the icing recipe that uses pavlova magic?? I think it was maybe a swiss meringue icing??? I'm pretty sure I came across it on here thru a link. Our house was broken into last week and they stole so much stuff including my computer with all my saved recipes and I was wanting to make the icing to use for my daughters first birthday next week. Hopefully one of you lovely ladies will know what I mean.
Thanks

9 replies
Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 12:57am
post #2 of 10

Oh that's horrible when that happens, You poor thing icon_sad.gif
Well i don't remember seeing a recipe like that being posted but i did find one through google that uses meringue powder and you can jsut change it to pavlova magic, here it is:

http://www.taste.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?p=66147&sid=b342f15fbd927c6eb7871f40cdf42ebf

not sure if helps but thought would just put it up incase icon_smile.gif

JayTeresa Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 2:56am
post #3 of 10

Thanks, that does seem similar, The one I saw had Copha in it. I just wish I could remember where I saw it??? I think I have learnt now to write them down as soon as I see it icon_smile.gif

Elise87 Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 3:03am
post #4 of 10

i am pretty sure you can just substitute the copha in place of the shortening in the same amount can't you? Sorry i can't find any other recipe with the pavlova magic or specifically copha

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 5:48am
post #5 of 10

Hi JayeTeresa - so sorry to here of the break in - so invasive and unsettling isn't it? icon_sad.gif
I have posted a recipe below used and mastered by Toba Garrett
And yes it has the Meringue powder in it....i use the Pavlova Magic.
Again - so sorry to hear about your break in

Bluehue icon_smile.gif

---------------------------------------------------------

Author: Toba Garrett
Source: The Well Decorated Cake

Author Remark: This decorator's staple remains an old reliable when all else fails. It even performs well in warm weather.

Ingredients:

2 cups (454 gr) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup (230 gr) vegetable shortening or hi-ratio shortening or copha
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice or
1 1/2 tsp lemon extract, vanilla extract or almond extract
1.36 kg 10X confectioner's sugar = pure icing sugar
1/3 + 1 Tbsp ( 135 ml) water, milk, or clear liqueur
3 Tbsp meringue powder
1 tsp salt

1. Cream shortening & butter with mixer. Add flavouring and salt. Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time. Add meringue powder. ( The mixture will appear dry)
2. Add liquid of choice and beat until light and fluffy ( approximately 5 to 8 minutes). Keep the bowl covered with damp cloth or plastic wrap.

Storage: Store the icing in an airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months.
Yield: (2.37 L)

JayTeresa Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 5:56am
post #6 of 10

Thanks Blue hue, Yeah I could kill the buggers if I find out who it is, they even took all the video footage we had taken of our little girl since she was born, luckily I had already put our sons video onto DVD. That looks like it might be the one as i remember the one I saw having something written about being a decorators icing. How does it taste?? I was going to use it on cupcakes for my daughters 1st birthday next week.
Thanks Again icon_smile.gif

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 6:14am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTeresa

Thanks Blue hue, Yeah I could kill the buggers if I find out who it is, they even took all the video footage we had taken of our little girl since she was born,
They just don't care what they take or care about how prescious it is to the owners - luckily I had already put our sons video onto DVD.
Besides the break in its the unsettling feeling that *they* have been into your home -
About 4 months ago late one night i *heard* a noise (the husband was sleeping soundly) - so i go and investigate - and sure enough here is some *body* with his foot coming through our bathroom window - which was locked open (thank god)
I don't know who got the bigger fright - him or me - i raced for the phone - rang the police then flew upstairs and woke the husband -
By the time the husband was up and dressed the police were on our door step - icon_wink.gif
They were attending another BI 3 doors down the street - icon_mad.gificon_mad.giftapedshut.gif
Left me a bit rattled thats for sure. icon_cry.gif
But the mongral took off over the fence before the police could catch him icon_mad.gif

That looks like it might be the one as i remember the one I saw having something written about being a decorators icing. How does it taste??
Sweet - but not sickly - IYKWIM
I was going to use it on cupcakes for my daughters 1st birthday next week.
Oh yes - that is what i have used it for - and the best thing is - it is great for *all weathers*
Will look forward to seeing the photos -
Take care
Bluehue icon_smile.gif

Thanks Again icon_smile.gif
Your very welcome.

BarbaraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbaraK Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 9:29am
post #8 of 10

I think this may be the one you are looking for. The basis is Toba's Decorator Buttercream and Nicole has made a slight adjustment to suit the Aussie palate and use copha.

http://www.cakesandmore.org/blog/2009/02/decorators-buttercream-recipe-by-toba-garrett/

JayTeresa Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 9:40am
post #9 of 10

Thanks BarbaraK, that is the exact one I was looking for, I thought it was on that site but I had a look today and couldn't find it.
Oh Bluehue, you poor thing that would have been terrifying for you, I guess the good thing is that we weren't home, it was hard enough when my 3 yr old saw the mess and then the next day when he realised that the computer and Playstation were gone, how on earth do you explain things like that to a 3 yr old, the little mongrels don't realise it's not just the stuff they take but all the other emotions and memories and not feeling safe in your own house that go along with it. They even helped themselves to food and drink and used the toilet, it's a pretty awful feeling knowing someone has been in your house.
But anyway Thanks again for your help ladies it is much appreciated thumbs_up.gif

Elise87 Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 9:59am
post #10 of 10

DecoratorÕs Buttercream Aussie Translation & Half Batch......

- good splosh of vanilla essence....i love how that is written lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%