Correct Way To Address Someone In An Introduction Letter..

Business By -Tubbs Updated 24 Jun 2009 , 1:50pm by -Tubbs

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 10:31pm
post #1 of 8

So, if she's Jane Smith, do you write "Dear Jane" or "Dear Ms Smith"? This is assuming I don't know her - I am writing to local wedding planners to intoduce my business.

Things are so much more casual these days, I don't know what is correct...

Thanks for any pointers.

7 replies
maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 10:33pm
post #2 of 8

I would go with Dear Ms Smith, but this year was my first time having to do an introduction letter in almost ten years. icon_rolleyes.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 10:35pm
post #3 of 8

Dear Ms. Smith:

Formal and it uses the colon, not the comma.

for long explanation: The Perdue Online Writing Lab (a.k.a OWL) -- a fantastic resource for all things English grammar and writing connected -- you can tell those very precise engineer types put this resource together -- God LUV uhm!

link: http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/653/01/

be sure to read all the way through and click on link to sample letters

Modern Block Format (like the first sample) seems to have won the day for most letters sent today.

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 2:32am
post #4 of 8

I always address with the Ms, Mr. or Mrs. then when I meet them I ask if i can use their first name.

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 4:36am
post #5 of 8

Definitely Ms. Smith: -- you want to be professional, and that is the correct address for a business letter. Only move to first names if the person has told you "Call me Jane". If it is someone who is versed in proper ettiquette (which would be nice in a wedding planner), she will be aware of the proper form of address. Practically speaking, I think you are less likely to offend a first name kind of person by calling her Ms. Smith than you are to offend a last name kind of person by calling her Jane.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 12:55pm
post #6 of 8

Just like everyone else said, definitely Dear Ms. Smith!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 12:55pm
post #7 of 8

Just like everyone else said, definitely Dear Ms. Smith!

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 1:50pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks for the input. You've confirmed what I thought, but like I say, even our bank manager calls us by first name these days, so I thought I ought to check!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%