Is A Bc Crumb-Coat 'enough' Under A Fondant Covering?

Decorating By MrsNancyB1 Updated 25 Jun 2009 , 7:58pm by MrsNancyB1

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 9:58pm
post #1 of 21

I'm planning to make a cake covered in MMF. Is a crumb-coat of BC enough, or do I need to actually ice the cake in BC? I'm new to this, so it may seem like a silly question. icon_razz.gif

TIA!

20 replies
Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 10:05pm
post #2 of 21

I ice almost regular amount because even thought I know that my fondant is tasty, it has a bad rap and many people peel it off. Without a regularish amount of BC, they would hardly have any BC at all!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif HTH

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 10:06pm
post #3 of 21

Hi, I use a bit thicker layer than a crumbcoat! icon_smile.gif

cathie_shinnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathie_shinnick Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 10:07pm
post #4 of 21

I just crumb coat, and get it really smooth. I used to do a second coat but had issues with having it be too thick and soft under the fondant . I let the BC dry then right before I apply the fondant I lightly paint the BC with some PS glue(a mixture of ps and water) to make it stick to the bc.

kokopuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kokopuff Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 10:10pm
post #5 of 21

I just started using mmf too.I find that a thin coating is all you need.Like a crumb coating but don't thin the icicng.Hope this makes since.The first time I tried the mmf I put to much buttercream on my cake and it seemed like my mmf slid around some but I did a carved cake that had layers that stood up and I didn't have it doweled properly.

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 10:11am
post #6 of 21

i want to learn how can we ice as we normally do with BC and not have problems.

i did that for my first fondant covered cake, and the icing slid, due to the weight from the fondant. i was using indydebi's icing.

cyndy40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cyndy40 Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 10:54am
post #7 of 21

I use a combination of Sharon Zambito's and Jennifer Dontz's techniques with buttercream and fondant. I highly suggest these ladies DVDs. Watching and learning what they do and how they do it has made all the difference for me in the decorating arena. I will also say that Sharon's buttercream is the only buttercream for me. For a paying customer, Jennifer's fondant is my only fondant; for family and friends, I use macsmom's MMF.

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 10:57am
post #8 of 21

mclaren, your crumb coat may have dried too much before adding your fondant to it not allowing the fondant to stick to the buttercream. You should slightly moisten your crumb coat before putting the fondant layer on and make certain when you apply the fondant you are using a tool to press it against the crumb coat. This should keep the fondant from sliding. Good luck.

Bettina

MLand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MLand Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 11:04am
post #9 of 21

When I took the Wilton classes, my instructor suggested a regular to thicker layer of buttercream due to alot of people don't like fondant.

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 12:43pm
post #10 of 21

bettinashoe, no, it wasn't the crumbcoat.

as usual i crumbcoated the cake, then slather on icing (thick) as i normally do for my BC cakes. then i put the fondant on. the cake was never refriged in the process.
i left it overnite, the next morning i saw one side of the cake was sliding. actually the icing was sliding and pulling the fondant together. but no oozing of icing or anything.
by the time the cake reached the venue, around few hours later, the other side of the cake slid as well. it was a free cake for old friends' gathering and since nobody there even remotely knows how to decorate a cake, they were oohhing and aaahing at the cake LOL and didn't notice the imperfections.

i've done a few more fondant cakes, and found out just crumbcoating without a lot of icing works better.
and now i'm into ganacheing instead of BC under fondant, and wow, what a difference!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 12:58pm
post #11 of 21

I use a pretty thin layer of BC under my fondant. But I also recommend Sharon's Flawless Fondant DVD. It's wonderful!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 3:30pm
post #12 of 21

I only use a crumbcoat under fondant.

jardot22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jardot22 Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 4:54pm
post #13 of 21

I only use a crumbcoat as well - I get the sharpest edges and smoothest surface this way. It works the best for me, so until I can figure out how a regular coat of icing will work well under fondant without ending up smooshed out the bottom, I'm sticking with it icon_smile.gif

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 5:04pm
post #14 of 21

Crumbcoating works better for me. I make my "filling" between layers fairly thick so they get plenty of BC and flavor, so I don't feel like they have to get as much on the outside of the cake.

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 7:44pm
post #15 of 21

i'm going to be doing a light crumb coat from now on i did a thick on and i had lumps no matter how much i smoothed

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 8:48pm
post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLand

When I took the Wilton classes, my instructor suggested a regular to thicker layer of buttercream due to alot of people don't like fondant.

that's 'cause even wilton knows wilton brand fondant tastes horrible and no one in their right mind would eat it icon_smile.gif

jardot22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jardot22 Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 8:49pm
post #17 of 21

LOL good point jmt1714!

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 11:34pm
post #18 of 21

i don't know i did and i couldn't get the bumps out. and it was on a smoothed cake

kokopuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kokopuff Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 3:14pm
post #19 of 21

ninatat did you use a fondant smoother,that could be your problem,or you my not be rolling out your fondant thinn enough

BakingJeannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingJeannie Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 7:01pm
post #20 of 21

I make a paste of leftover cake or cake torted from the top with buttercream; then cover cake. Light or heavy coat of buttercream (I mostly use SMBC), then apply fondant. This is after applying each application a placing in icebox or fridge.

I am planning to use the chocolate ganache method like Plant Cake.

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 7:58pm
post #21 of 21

Thanks everyone!

I think I will stick to a crumb coat, and maybe go just a *little* bit thicker. I don't think I will fully ice the cake since I want a nice smooth finish, and I don't want a lot of 'smooshing' around under the fondant.

icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%