Prepared Gumpaste Roses

Decorating By THECAKEPLACE Updated 23 Jun 2009 , 11:19pm by Evoir

THECAKEPLACE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
THECAKEPLACE Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 9:50pm
post #1 of 9

Am I able to make a bunch of gumpaste flowers and store them for a later time?

8 replies
RetiredNavyChief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RetiredNavyChief Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 10:49pm
post #2 of 9

of course, just put them in a air tight container and keep them out of direct sun light.

EnjoyTheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EnjoyTheCake Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 10:51pm
post #3 of 9

Just make sure they are very very dry before you put them in the air tight container or the moisture will make them soft again.

What recommendations can be made to keep the container dry in humid areas? Rice? Silica? Limestone? anything at all that helps keep the container dry as dry can be?

THECAKEPLACE Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 10:52pm
post #4 of 9

How long can I make them in advance?

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 10:55pm
post #5 of 9

Geraldine Randsome carries a food product that is meant for humidity and condensation. Its called Decassant or something like that. It looks like the stuff you get in the bags from the hardware store for your closets called Damp Rid. Im sure you can use Damp Rid too because its in a bag and doesnt come in contact with the flowers. But I know the Decassant does work. Especially for cakes coming out of the fridge and condensation on them. Her site is creative cutters.

THECAKEPLACE Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 10:58pm
post #6 of 9

rice will work? icon_surprised.gif

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 11:03pm
post #7 of 9

Probably but the only thing I worry about with rice is weevels. I know my mom used to get them in the summer and she didnt have air conditioning. Not sure if the two are connected but I certainly wouldnt want bugs on my roses!!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 11:14pm
post #8 of 9

It's fairly humid here and I have no trouble storing gumpaste flowers. I've got some stored in a loosely tied plastic bag (it's a basket bag put over the arrangement) and some others stored inside a styrofoam ice chest and they're all doing fine. I've also stored fondant flowers in a cardboard box lined with paper towels and they've kept for months that way.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 11:19pm
post #9 of 9

In my experience, you will usually need a dessicant like silica gel if using an airtight box.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%