Name Brands

Decorating By dinie Updated 27 Jun 2009 , 2:50am by lngo

dinie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinie Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 9:19pm
post #1 of 18

I have a question? Does everyone here use name brands or do you use store brands? I have a bulk store that I can get some of my baking supplies from but not sure if it would be advisable to us stuff that is not name brand. Today I bought 50# flour for $21.00 it is gold medal, they had 50# sugar for 25.00 but it was not domino's. I had bought 50# of
high-mo shortening this past winter for icing and I have had no problems with it. I had read on another site to not use store brands because the quality is not good enough. I buy store brand butter all the time for my buttercream because land-o-lakes is just to expensive and I also buy store brand cream cheese and have not had any problems with it either.
So I would like some views on what people use as far as name brands or not.

Thanks,
dinie

17 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 2:47pm
post #2 of 18

There are lots of members here who use store brands, as opposed to name brands. Use what works for you, and don't worry about the opinions of others. We've all had good experiences and bad experiences with products, so don't let what happened to others sway you from what may be good for you.

If you're buying in 50 lb bags, what you're buying is a bakery supply. I mean, really, when was the last time you saw 50 lbs of sugar in the supermarket?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 2:59pm
post #3 of 18

I use store brand on just about everything unless I can get name brand cheaper on sale or with a coupon. Most stores have a guarantee on their store brand if you dont like it you can take it back. I have found that most of them are just as good as name brand. My husband is particular about poptarts, and we've noticed a difference on chicken nuggets. But not on baking supplies- well chocolate chips but my store now has a really good "signature" brand and its as good as nestle.

jimandmollie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jimandmollie Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 3:02pm
post #4 of 18

I use store brand for everything unless something is on sale cheaper. I have never had a problem.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 3:03pm
post #5 of 18

I'm a hobbyist and I do buy 80% my ingredients in bulk because it saves me a lot. Honestly, it will all depend on the product. I use store brand shortening for kneading fondant/gumpaste, store brand chocolate chips for some pastries because it taste better that way, I use storebrand milk, store brand heavy whipping cream and few more things.

Try it out, if it doesn't work out then go with the other ones.

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 3:16pm
post #6 of 18

I don't think it matters either way. There are some grocery items I will only purchase name brand simply for taste or texture. Flour is flour, sugar is sugar, most things I don't think matter what brand on baking supplies.

dinie Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 12:59am
post #7 of 18

Thanks ladies for your input. Since starting my baking after losing my job to this great economy. I have probably used close to 200# of flour and buying it in 5 or 10# bags I was spending way to much money on them. I get my supplies from a Amish market place they bag stuff up and sell it in smaller weights but I have asked them if I could buy it in the bulk size and he said yes so I went and bought big buckets to put the stuff in and so far so good. I have a room that is not used so I just store everything in there and close door to keep it cool. The only thing I'm not sure about is to buy powder sugar in 50# bags, because I hate measuring it. Its just easier to open a 1 or 2# bag up and being on your way. Beside not sure how many cups are in a 2# bag and most of the icing that I make takes 3# so maybe someone can tell me how many cups are in a # of powder sugar, LOL.

dinie

dorie67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dorie67 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 1:26am
post #8 of 18

I too use mostly store brands unless the name brand is on sale and is less than the store brand. I have never had any problems except for once I bought chocolate chips and they were terrible, they melted and burnt in the oven while the cookies were baking but the cookie didn't burn! Go figure! princess.gif

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 1:46am
post #9 of 18

Once, and only once, I went into one of those off-brand stores when I was in a bind and couldn't get my regular supplier out for a delivery soon enough. I bought an entire skid of whatever off-brand chocolate cake mix they had. (don't know what I was thinking, should have tried a few first!)

It wouldn't make cake!!!! Seriously! I tried several times... they wouldn't rise, stayed gooey in the middle--it was a mess. I finally came to the conclusion that it must have been brownie mix that was packaged and labeled wrong! (don't know the mix difference.) I called the store, let them know, the store had the distributor or packaging company call me back. They weren't aware of the problem yet, so they were glad for the heads up. I got a refund (was told to keep the messed up batch), they mailed an apology letter along with a tiny coupon to use towards more of that item for my bad experience and trouble. Why would I want more? I lost all faith in that company and never tried it again!

My only advice would be to stick with what you like, what works for you, and if you're in a pinch and need to try something different, first try it on a small batch so you can judge the results and buy more later!!!!!

DyMakesCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DyMakesCake Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 10:23pm
post #10 of 18

I actually just had a conversation with my husband about this the other day. I don't bake enough to buy in bulk. I prefer Pillsbury Flour and Domino sugar. For cream cheese, I don't mind the Kroger brand but hate the Meijer brand.

I also buy the store brand butter because it's so much cheaper.

I think it's just a matter of personal preference and taste.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 4:34am
post #11 of 18

If you buy powdered sugar in bulk, won't you have to sift it every time you use it? As soon as a whiff of moisture gets around it, it seems to get lumpy.
I use store brands all the time. It's just like name brand-some I like and some I don't. As long as you already know you like the brand, why not save some moolah and buy it in bulk?

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 4:59am
post #12 of 18

I don't mind buying store brands, they are of really good quality and, buying in bulk either, as long as it's fresh and I have use for the whole thing because, what's the point of saving a few bucks when buying if I'm going to let it go to waste? But other than that no problem at all.

cupcakeco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeco Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 4:59am
post #13 of 18

Wal-Mart, all the way! I'm mainly a hobbyist but my cakes have extended to friends, coworkers and friends of friends. Everything's generic Wal-Mart brand, with the exception of box mix-- never had a problem, and no one has ever complained about taste.

PS-- not to mention, Wal-Mart is--ahem-- cheap thumbs_up.gif

dinie Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 2:18am
post #14 of 18

I don't find that Wal-Mart is that cheap any more because they have pushed the other grocery stores out so they raised their prices because we don't have anything else to go to. I'm not saying that I don't shop Wally World as my parents call it but try to find other places to get things cheaper or compariable to them so to keep other business alive.

dinie

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 2:29am
post #15 of 18

I read somewhere that some food producers provide product for both the name brands and the store brands. Same product, different packaging.So if you find a store brand product that looks like and performs as well as a name brand, it might just be the same thing.

KathyTW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathyTW Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 2:34am
post #16 of 18

If you think about it logically....using Walmart as an example just because so many people shop there.

Great Value Brand Flour 2# Bag vs. Gold Medal Flour 2# Bag

Do you really think Walmart is producing GV Flour in their own plant? Nope - the GV flour is likely either from a Gold Medal or Pillsbury plant and packaged in a GV bag. By buying in such large quantities WM can negotiate a much lower price for the flour because they guarantee to buy "x" amount of flour. (I hope this makes sense).

Many of the store brand foods are manufactured in the exact same plant that the name brand products are - NOT ALL though! So some things may be a lower quality like the cake mixes but the majority is equal.

If you buy it and it works for you - go for it!!!

cookiemama2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemama2 Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 2:40am
post #17 of 18

I used to use no name or store brand shortening until I read what was all in it. Now its Crisco only for me.

lngo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lngo Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 2:50am
post #18 of 18

I typically buy whatever is less expensive. At Sams Club, the 72 oz Nestle chocolate chips are cheaper per ounce than the 12oz GV brand at Walmart! The only baking goods I buy that are NOT store brand are cake mix and shortening (Crisco in bulk is cheaper here too). I read the ingredients on some off brand cake mix and it actually contained animal fat!!! The store brand cake mixes I've tried haven't been all that great, but I don't do box mixes that often anyway.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%