Where Do I Get Wires?

Decorating By emflo Updated 23 Jun 2009 , 8:41pm by DianeLM

emflo Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 8:28pm
post #1 of 3

I am new to decorating fondant cakes. Can someone please tell me where I can purchase the wires I often see on top of cakes (usually holding different shapes...and they are often curvy). I think these are very cute and would love to try them out. Thanks! Also...is it difficult to get them to stay in the cake without wobbling around?

2 replies
qubanqtee Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 8:35pm
post #2 of 3

I just use floral wire and "glue" the items on with royal icing. I'm not very experienced so I'm sure another CC'er will step in and give their thoughts too!

DianeLM Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 8:41pm
post #3 of 3

You'll find the wires you need in the floral section of a craft store (Michaels, Hobby Lobby, WalMart, etc.). Remember -- the LOWER the gauge number, the stiffer the wire. So, you can hang a fairly heavy piece from 18 gauge wire, but 24 gauge wire would just fall flat.

Don't ever insert bare wires into a cake. First, it's unsanitary -- secondly, they may rip right through your cake, depending on how heavy the dangling bit it.

Some options for you: insert single wires into a coffee stirrer; insert multiple wires into a straw or hollow plastic dowel; wrap wire with plastic wrap and insert into the cake (this is for very small, light items only)

To keep your wire from spinning around in the stirrer/straw/etc., wrap the wire in floral tape, then fill your straw with fondant and push the wire into it. For the little stirrer, you can just use the floral tape without the fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%