Decorating By JodieF Updated 28 Dec 2014 , 5:49pm by KPSA Repair

smoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smoore Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 2:19pm
post #61 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by adven68

Quote:
Originally Posted by JodieF

I'm so angry right now I could just spit and I hardly ever get angry. Over the weekend my Kitchenaid Pro 6 broke. We took off the top and there's a gear that's missing 3 teeth. I know it's not under warranty (3 years old) but called around to get it fixed. Turns out Kitchenaid makes their mixers with their own set of tools, so no one else but them can work on them. The authorized dealer tells me I have to bring them $100 CASH for them to even look at it! But, they're SO kind and said the $100 would apply to the repair if I choose to have it fixed.

Then, the very next day, my Kitchenaid pasta roller won't turn anymore. My DH got it for me for Christmas so it's 6 months old. I use it to roll out fondant. It's under warranty for a year. I call to get it replaced. She asks what I was rolling when it broke and I stupidly said fondant. I get a "OH, I'm sorry then, but your warranty is void". Then she generously offers to sell me a new one at a 20 % discount.
Folks, if you have an issue with their pasta roller (which I just LOVED until this point) then LIE! You were only using it for pasta dough....NO FONDANT!

I am just sick over all of this. I'll never buy a Kitchenaid product again!

Jodie

I don't think that KA has anything to do with what an authorized dealer charges. They just allow them to fix their products, they don't regulate their prices. It's totally up to you to find a dealer that seems more reasonable to you.
As far as the fondant in the roller...They probably don't have a clue what fondant is, so of course they will say the warranty is void. I don't condone lying, but you could heed the previous advice posted about explaing how it is technically a dough and see if they will work with you.

I had a 4 qt KA for 13 years...never an issue. Then, I got a 6 qt for Christms a couple of yrs. ago and it broke after 6 months. KA replaced it promptly with hardly a question, so I have to say my experience has been positive with their customer service.
Try the letter writing as previously suggested & best of luck.

I work in the industry (not w/ KA, but with a buying group for independent appliance, electronic and furniture retailers) and wanted to clarify a couple things for you. Whirlpool owns KitchenAid and has for MANY years ... they owned it when I bought my KA about 15 years ago. There is a LARGE difference between an authorized dealer and an authorized servicer. Authorized dealers can take the product and work with service for you but CANNOT service the product. The $100 is what the KA Service Dept charges and it will cost to look at the product and that $100 will also go towards the repair - the authorized dealer takes the $100 and forwards that along with the mixer to the KA service department. There's an old saying "if you want something done right, do it yourself." This is basically the position KA has made on service of their small appliances. Servicing appliances is a nightmare and hosts a lot of things the average consumer doesn't consider. If a servicer doesn't perform as expected, KA still takes the rap for being a cheap/bad product, so why not do the service yourself to ensure the bad rap you're getting is justified. There is also a lot of fraud in the service industry in general, not just from customers lying ... but the servicers themselves claiming more repairs done, getting paid for work that was never completed. I actually respect the way that the company has approached their service policy, as it actually does keep the cost of service down for everyone on the whole. It appears that you got the brunt of someones bad day. Remember, the person on the phone is dealing with complaints - and only complaints - day in and day out. Remember also that not everyone that calls in to their department is innocent as to the problems they are having with their equipment and people in general are getting more and more rude everyday. You would not believe some of the things that their equipement has been used for! They want the mixers and want them under $100 yet want them to be the same quality as a $1000 mixer. I'm fortunate to have a KitchenAid small appliance manufacturing plant near my hometown, with a KitchenAid store. I can take my mixer in there for cleanings (that powdered sugar finds its way into the housing and is tough on gears) and for tune-ups. Tune ups are what run at about $40. You get the oil changed in your car and take care of that motor ... you should also take care of the motor on your equipment/appliances.

I'd call them again, be very pleasant and don't bring up the prior calls. Yes, you will be told that it will cost $100 to look at/repair your KA, but I believe that is also stated in the KA handbook. As far as your pasta roller is concerned, you could even tell them it was a sweet dough called fondant and they'd know what you're talking about then. If they tell you that your warranty is voided because it wasn't "pasta dough", appologize, and very pleasantly tell them that there are no exclusions in the type of dough that can be put through the pasta roller in the handbook and instructions for fondant through the pasta roller is even available on their website/forum. The more you are pleasant, nice, and joking with them, the better your results will be -- you are dealing with people after all. You'll want to warm them up in the beginning of the call and once they "like" you, start negotiating for a resolution. icon_lol.gif

Good luck!

KPSA Repair Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KPSA Repair Posted 28 Dec 2014 , 5:49pm
post #62 of 62

Hi,

Here is a solution to fix your Kitchenaid Pasta Roller.

Regards,

KPSA Repair

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%