Cake Sticking To Bottom Of Pan, What Do You Use?

Decorating By cakelovincrazy Updated 25 Jun 2009 , 3:29am by BillaCakes

cakelovincrazy Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 7:42pm
post #1 of 18

I made the WASC cake today for the first time. I used a 9x13 pan sprayed with Bakers Joy, it was a chocolate cake. I baked it on 300 for about 23 min. and then up to 325 for about 25 min. (just as the recipe indicated). When I inserted the toothpick it had just a tiny bit on it, but I took it out anyway because the cake was just starting to come away from the sides and the recipe said if comes away from sides it's overbaked.

I ended up leaving the cake in the pan to cool longer than 10 minutes because I was on the phone and got side tracked. It actually sat in the pan for about 20 minutes and when I turned the cake over onto the wire rack a huge piece of it was still stuck to the pan. icon_confused.gif

I've used Bakers Joy before and never a problem.

What do you all use to grease the pans and should I use something different with this cake recipe? Do you think it was because I let it cool in the pan too long? The pan was one of those non stick pans too.
Any suggestions?

17 replies
Larkin121 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 7:46pm
post #2 of 18

I grease my pans, put parchment paper on the bottom and then flour all of it. I imagine you could use the Baker's Joy stuff in the same way, put it on, place parchment paper in the bottom, spray the paper again.

It's the way almost all of my best baking books say to do it. They are not decorating books, however, my cakes have come out soooooo much better since I started doing it this way. You just peel off the paper after you turn it out of the pan.

Hope that helps!

djs328 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 7:50pm
post #3 of 18

I was having sticking issues a while back...MANY, MANY CC'ers replied with: HOMEMADE PAN GREASE. I've been using it ever since and will never go back! (I only use Bakers Joy or Pam w/flour for a shaped 3D pan)
Recipe:
1 part shortening
1 part oil
1 part flour

Mix. Spread in pan. Works like a CHARM! icon_smile.gif

HTH!

mandysue Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 7:51pm
post #4 of 18

I love Wilton Cake Release. I can get by with cooking spray, but the cakes come out so much easier and cleaner when I use Cake Release.

jaybug Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 7:52pm
post #5 of 18

Cakelovincrazy, I always use bakers joy also and I've never had any sticking problems. Also My cakes always stay in the pan 20 minutes+. Sounds like one of those strange things that just happen sometimes just because... icon_rolleyes.gif

mommicakes Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 7:53pm
post #6 of 18

I used to use Bakers Joy all the time. I had a BIG week this past week, and the bottoms started to stick in the pans the first 4 or 5 that I baked were sticking. icon_mad.gif I got so frustrated and mad, I had DD go to the kitchen store and get parchment paper. After that, I greased my pans, put in the paper, and sprayed quickly w/canola oil, and baked. Not another issue, and I baked a total of 37 layers of cake that day. I don't know if Bakers Joy has done anything different, or if it was just the stupid "low" pressure system sitting above us that day, but, I will NOT do a cake the same way anymore. parchment & oil/grease is how I bake now. icon_wink.gif

Misdawn Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 7:57pm
post #7 of 18

I use the homemade stuff, and over the last few years I have found that if I allow te cake to sit in the pan more than 5-10 minutes once removed from the oven, the cake will stick almost every time. This may or may not be the case in your situation, but it has definitely affected my cakes.

MrCake01 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 7:58pm
post #8 of 18

Hey cakelovincrazy,
I always spray my pans, coat with flour and then spray lightly again. Also i don't use the toothpick method, i always look to make sure the cake has separated slightly from the sides of the pan. This has always worked well for me.
Good Luck,
Mrcake01

carmenid Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 8:06pm
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandysue

I love Wilton Cake Release. I can get by with cooking spray, but the cakes come out so much easier and cleaner when I use Cake Release.

same here...no complaints. Every once in a blue moon I use wax paper and that works pretty good also.

Jakap2 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 8:11pm
post #10 of 18

I use Wilton cake release too, never failed me. icon_smile.gif

cakelovincrazy Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 9:22pm
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkin121

I grease my pans, put parchment paper on the bottom and then flour all of it. I imagine you could use the Baker's Joy stuff in the same way, put it on, place parchment paper in the bottom, spray the paper again.

It's the way almost all of my best baking books say to do it. They are not decorating books, however, my cakes have come out soooooo much better since I started doing it this way. You just peel off the paper after you turn it out of the pan.

Hope that helps!

What do you use to grease your pan with first, butter, shortening, oil....? After you put the parchment paper you only put flour over it? Light sprinkling or...?

cakelovincrazy Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 9:24pm
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by djs328

I was having sticking issues a while back...MANY, MANY CC'ers replied with: HOMEMADE PAN GREASE. I've been using it ever since and will never go back! (I only use Bakers Joy or Pam w/flour for a shaped 3D pan)
Recipe:
1 part shortening
1 part oil
1 part flour

HTH!

OK here comes another dumb question, what is "part". I noticed that in the WASC cake recipe too and didn't really get it. Does it mean if I use 1 tbsp of shortening then 1tbsp of the oil and flour too? icon_confused.gif

newmansmom2004 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 9:29pm
post #13 of 18

I spray my pans with Crisco non-stick spray, then place a piece of parchment paper on the bottom, cut to fit the size of the pan. Never had a cake stick yet.

Part = any equivalent portion of all ingredients. Ex. "Part" could be a cup, a teaspoon, a gallon, as long as all ingredients are measured out in the equal measurements.

1 part water to 1 part sugar =
1 cup water to 1 cup sugar or
1 tsp. water to 1 tsp. sugar or
1 gallon water to 1 gallon sugar.

monkeny Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 9:32pm
post #14 of 18

I use 1 cup crisco, 1 cup AP flour, and 1/2 cup oil....works great every time!

lostincake Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 9:35pm
post #15 of 18

Yes...equal measurements of each.

I too use this homemade recipe and it works every time and is easy as pie. But it does say to remove from pan within 10 mins or it may harden causing cake to stick to the pan or harden onto the cake itself. I've never had that happen even when I've left it in for 20 minutes but that's probably because I also use parchment paper.

I line my pans first with parchment, then brush on the homemade pan release and after I turn them out, just peel away the parchment and voila!

HTH. icon_smile.gif

Angel_Cake Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 9:40pm
post #16 of 18

I spray my pans with Pam, then put parchment paper in and spray it a bit more to make the paper stick. I have never had a problem with the cake sticking since I started doing it this way!

djs328 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 9:42pm
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakelovincrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by djs328

Recipe:
1 part shortening
1 part oil
1 part flour

HTH!

OK here comes another dumb question, what is "part". I noticed that in the WASC cake recipe too and didn't really get it. Does it mean if I use 1 tbsp of shortening then 1tbsp of the oil and flour too? icon_confused.gif

Oops - should have explained that better - sorry! icon_redface.gif
I make it using 1 cup of each and store it in an empty Crisco container in the pantry. Lasts a long time. thumbs_up.gif

BillaCakes Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 3:29am
post #18 of 18

Alton Brown's method has never failed me. Spray the bottom of the pan with a quick shot of PAM or other cooking spray, place parchment on bottom (previous spray helps keep it "glued" down), then spray the sides of the pan. You can use Baker's joy or some of those fancy sprays, but regular cooking spray works just great. After using the spray, parchment, spray method, I've never had a cake stick. Trust Larkin121 and Alton Brown!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%