Few ?'s About Wbh Bc Anyone Use It?

Decorating By Deb_ Updated 24 Jun 2009 , 12:46am by Deb_

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 7:34pm
post #1 of 14

Hi,

I just mixed up a batch of the Whimsical Bakehouse butter cream and I really like the taste/texture of it. It's nice and smooth almost like SMBC without that "too buttery" taste.

I have a few questions since I've never used it before, hopefully someone can help.

Is this icing shelf stable or does it need to be refrigerated?

I guess my second question is sort of like the first but How does it hold up in heat and humidity?

How long can you store this in a container?

Thanks for you help everyone!
Deb

EDIT TO ADD....Does this icing crust?

13 replies
Pebbles1727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pebbles1727 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 7:59pm
post #2 of 14

I'm not sure which one you mixed up, Kaye's or House, neither one of them crusts but I love the taste of both of them. If it's the one with egg whites, I normallly refrigerate it. I would not think either one of them will do good in hot weather, I normally use indidebie's or sugarshacks for that.
Good Luck, P

Deb_ Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 8:15pm
post #3 of 14

Hi Pebbles,

The recipe I used doesn't have egg whites, it's just PS, boiling water, salt vanilla, shortening and butter.

Do you think this one also needs to be refrigerated? I'll be bumming if it does I can't sell perishable food items and I'd love to add this to my "regulars" it's really really good.

ummmmmmmm.......one problem I do see with this is I can NOT stop eating it. icon_surprised.gificon_wink.gif

Pebbles1727 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 8:39pm
post #4 of 14

Sorry, I don't know what the correct answer is. I have let the cakes and cupcakes with that icing sit out during the day, but I normally like to refrigerate it, since it has butter in it and sugar content seems so much lower than other buttercream icings I've used. I was worried it may go bad. When in doubt... kinda thing. Plus I live in coastal AL and it's pretty hot and humid here. I cannot remeber if their book discusses the storage of icing or not. Did you look in the beginning of a book to see if it may tell you?
P

Deb_ Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 8:43pm
post #5 of 14

I actually don't have the book I "googled" the recipe.

I think you're right though about the fat to sugar ratio being so high, I think it probably does need refrigeration. I've been searching on-line but can't seem to find anything about storage and shelf life.

Thanks for your help!

Stay cool!
Deb

Pebbles1727 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 8:48pm
post #6 of 14

I'll look through the book when I get home and let you know if it says anythig about it.
P

Deb_ Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 8:52pm
post #7 of 14

awesome thanks!

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 9:03pm
post #8 of 14

Just found this on their website:

Kaye's buttercream can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3days and in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.

mom2abc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2abc Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 9:13pm
post #9 of 14

I am looking for a favorite buttercream recipe and saw this and want to try it. I just went to the Whimsical Bakehouse website and it says that it can sit in an airtight container at room temp for up to 3 days or in the refridgerater for 3 weeks.

Pebbles1727 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 10:33pm
post #10 of 14

Just got home. Here is what it says about House buttercream (no egg whites) " House Buttercream can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks if tightly covered." There is also this in regards to their decorated cakes, covered in Kaye's (with egg whites) or House (no egg whites) buttercreams: "Chill the cake until one to four hours before serving, depending on the temperature."
I also have their "Little Cakes" book, and according to it, "can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for upto 3 days and in the refrigerator for upto 3 weeks." So go figure... I have not left out anything covered in either buttercream for longer than 12 hours though. After 12 hrs, it was still fine.
Good Luck, P

Deb_ Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 11:44pm
post #11 of 14

Thank you all so much for finding that information for me. I just got back from my library and they didn't have any of their books in, but I was able to reserve one.

About the butter cream. I iced the White on White buttermilk cake with it and we just tried a piece.

I really liked that the icing is not so super sweet and the texture is nice and silky. My husband, who prefers sweet icings, said "you're still going to make your regular frosting, right?"

Husbands........go figure icon_rolleyes.gificon_wink.gif

Thanks again you guys!
Deb

giraffe11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giraffe11 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 11:54pm
post #12 of 14

I have used the house butter cream that you are referring too. I love the taste and the smoothness of it, however it is heat-sensitive. It does not go bad if left out, so there are no worries about making anyone sick. But if a finished cake is left out in heat and humidity, the frosting will tend to get melty and slide around. In air conditioning it's fine. I used it for most all of the cakes in my photos, but you will notice that they are very plainly decorated.
Also, I can't use it for anything that needs a lot of decoration, as the heat from my hand quickly makes it way to soft to hold a shape or design. Sometimes I fill 2 bags with icing, so I can switch them when one heats up too much from the heat of my hands.....then I switch back and forth.
As was mentioned before, neither icing crusts.
I do really love the taste. It's always a trade off, huh???
icon_smile.gif

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 12:01am
post #13 of 14

I use the house BC as my "mock european" bc and get rave reviews. I did make it for a strawberry shortcake (in my pics) that was outside in a storm for a few hours, and it held up well. I'm in the northern Red Sox Nation (Vermont) and the storms usually are really humid up here.

As far as letting it sit around for a few days, I can't comment on that. It doesn't last in my house - I eat it by the spoonful! icon_biggrin.gif

Deb_ Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 12:46am
post #14 of 14

Thanks giraffe11.......I was really hoping to find a good heat tolerant butter cream. I mostly use a version of Serious_cakes which is butter and shortening (I use hi-ratio), but this past weekend I had SO many problems with it because it was humid here.

I don't usually like all shortening butter creams but I'm doing an outdoor wedding in August and I may have to use one for this particular cake. She doesn't want fondant.

Auntmamie......that's what I thought when I tasted this, it's very similar to a European BC. I bet it was delicious with strawberries. Good to speak to another Red Sox Nation caker! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%