Plz Help I Have Playdough Royal Icing

Baking By mommaz Updated 26 Jun 2009 , 12:51am by mommaz

mommaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommaz Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 7:33pm
post #1 of 9

I made royal icing last night for my cake class today, and today it's like playdough is there anything that I can do to fix it or should I just make new batch?

I'm new to this so all and any help would very much be helpful...Thx

8 replies
cathie_shinnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathie_shinnick Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 9:53pm
post #2 of 9

sorry dont know but heres a... bump...

mommaz Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 2:54am
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathie_shinnick

sorry dont know but heres a... bump...

a bump??

RachieRach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RachieRach Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 3:03am
post #4 of 9

i've never experienced that. Usually it just gets really really hard if you don't cover it. You could try adding water to it - a few drops at a time to get it back to icing consistency.

For the future, I usually store my royal icing in tupperware or the plastic take out soup containers.

HTH!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 3:04am
post #5 of 9

"bump" brings your post back to the top of the list, so that hopefully someone who knows the answer will see it.

Have you tried adding some water to your RI and mixing well?

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 8:51am
post #6 of 9

I would try to add a small amount of water, it might help, but it sounds as if you got some grease in when mixing, then there is not a lot that you can do to save it.

when making RI make sure you use a glass bowl and that your tools are free of grease. I rinse all my stuff in vinegar water to make sure its grease free.
HTH

Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 9:20am
post #7 of 9

I use lemon juice to soften mine up - and getting it back to room temperature and just mixing, mixing, mixing.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 9:59am
post #8 of 9

Every time you leave RI for more than 20 minutes you need to beat it again to get it the right consistency (can do this with a spoon, not necessary to use a mixer). Always place cling wrap directly onto icing surface and into an airtight container if you need to store it. Add in a drop of strained lemon juice or egg white at a time while beating to get it smooth and 'just right' again if its too thick and gummy.

mommaz Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 12:51am
post #9 of 9

I do store all my icings in tupperwear containers, I tried adding water...I'm thinking that the beater might of had grease on it and that what messed it up. Thx for all the help =)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%