How Many Servings?

Decorating By Totally-Frosted Updated 23 Jun 2009 , 7:41pm by indydebi

Totally-Frosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Totally-Frosted Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 5:50pm
post #1 of 6

How many servings does this cake look like it serves? I have a wedding to do and the bride wants this same cake but only needs 85 servings. From looking at the Wilton cake guide, it looks like it serves 200 or more.

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z145/cakemom22/KimWedding.jpg

5 replies
rharris524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rharris524 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 6:07pm
post #2 of 6

Guessing that it is a 6, 10, 14...according to Wilton, it is 166 servings (if you serve the top tier) or 150 with out it, but I find Wilton's servings to be very stingy! According to Earlene's it would be 136 servings if you serve teh top tier and 124 without it. So, it is a little large but not outrageous.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 6:36pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rharris524

According to Earlene's it would be 136 servings if you serve teh top tier and 124 without it. So, it is a little large but not outrageous.

And since just about every single professionally managed venue is going to go by Wilton anyways, regardless of how big or small you think their servings are, you will be making/giving away a bunch of free cake by following Earlene's chart.

mandysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandysue Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 6:51pm
post #4 of 6

Can't you make the bottom tier out of styrofoam? Of course, you'll still need to charge for your work. I haven't done the figures, but it might work out better to do the bottom in cake and the rest in foam. Either way, I think you can give her the look she wants without having a LOT of leftover cake.

Good luck!

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 6:57pm
post #5 of 6

You can always go with smaller pan sizes.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 7:41pm
post #6 of 6

When a bride says "I like this cake", she isn't necessarily saying "I want THIS cake EXACTLY like the picture." She's saying she likes the style, the design, the look.

But she needs the cake, that in the pic serves 300, cut down to serve 85. It just depends on what size pan you use, that's all.

6/8/10 squares serves 18/32/50 = 100 servings. She's paying for 100 servings. That's pretty much as small as she can go. If she saves her top tier, she's got 82 servings.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%