Heating Core Question

Decorating By snocilla Updated 26 Jun 2009 , 3:26pm by snocilla

snocilla Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 5:28pm
post #1 of 17

I am making my first real wedding cake (aside from the course 3 class cake) this weekend and I was wondering if I need a heating core for a 10x3 in pan. Thanks.

16 replies
PinkZiab Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 7:44pm
post #2 of 17

I never use a heating core (and I bake all of my cakes in 3" pans)... just drop your oven down to 325 and you'll be fine... I'm sure others will say different, but this is how I do it.

Misdawn Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 7:54pm
post #3 of 17

I would use an inverted flower nail. Your cake might be fine without it, but really...what could it hurt to go ahead and use it? Just to be safe.

jaybug Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 7:57pm
post #4 of 17

I use the inverted flower nail. thumbs_up.gif

linstead Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 8:01pm
post #5 of 17

Ditto on the inverted flower nail - just make sure you grease the entire thing well. Also I use several flower nails for larger cakes (space them evenly apart), expecially the 3" deep ones - really works great to get the middle baked.

Lissydawn Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 8:12pm
post #6 of 17

Just to clarify this inverted flower nail thing - do you put the greased nail in the pan (pointy side up), then pour the batter in?

sometimes the center of my cake does not cook as well as the outer edges, resulting in either burnt sides or uncooked middle, will the flower nail help with this?

Rosie2 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 8:26pm
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

I never use a heating core (and I bake all of my cakes in 3" pans)... just drop your oven down to 325 and you'll be fine... I'm sure others will say different, but this is how I do it.

Hi PinkZiab, I too like the 3' pans, but this past weekend I did a 12'x3' WASC and I used the heating core and the baking strips (at the same time)...well, the cake took 'years' (okay it took a long time) too cook and then when it started turning brown on top I panicked and took it out of the oven. It was cook but I ended up with a very dense, heavy almost slightly mushy cake icon_cry.gif I mean the cake was good, but I wonder if I ruined it by using both the heating core and the baking strips at the same time....what do you think?? please help! I know you're an expert icon_smile.gif

Misdawn Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 8:36pm
post #8 of 17

Lissydawn - yes and yes.

Rosie - though I'm not PinkZiab, I have used heating core and baking strips and cakes turned out just fine.

Rosie2 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 8:53pm
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misdawn

Lissydawn - yes and yes.

Rosie - though I'm not PinkZiab, I have used heating core and baking strips and cakes turned out just fine.

Ahhh, thank you Misdawn! then I'm guessing it was probably becuase I put too much liquid in my batter...my first time trying to double a recipe--mango/coconut WASC icon_redface.gif

Misdawn Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 9:42pm
post #10 of 17

No problem!

RetiredNavyChief Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 10:52pm
post #11 of 17

I just used a heating core on a 14 inch and I was alitte hesitant at first but it turned out fine. I didnt use one on my 10 x 2 and it baked great, like the others said 325 is the perfect temp

bakingatthebeach Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 11:17pm
post #12 of 17

I use an inverted flower nail also. I have used and not used it. Never have issues using it, but sometimes when I dont use it, my cakes collapse a little making a ridge on the outside. So just to save the headache of rebaking for those occasions, I always stick a flower nail in the pan greater than 10 inches, only takes a second.

sugarshack Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 12:02am
post #13 of 17
PinkZiab Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 1:01am
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie2

Quote:

Hi PinkZiab, I too like the 3' pans, but this past weekend I did a 12'x3' WASC and I used the heating core and the baking strips (at the same time)...well, the cake took 'years' (okay it took a long time) too cook and then when it started turning brown on top I panicked and took it out of the oven. It was cook but I ended up with a very dense, heavy almost slightly mushy cake icon_cry.gif I mean the cake was good, but I wonder if I ruined it by using both the heating core and the baking strips at the same time....what do you think?? please help! I know you're an expert icon_smile.gif

It could be that the temp of your oven is off. Do you have an oven thermometer? I don't use a core or baking strips, so I really can't say one way or the other how they affect baking. I've never seen the need for either.

Rosie2 Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 6:02pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:

It could be that the temp of your oven is off. Do you have an oven thermometer? I don't use a core or baking strips, so I really can't say one way or the other how they affect baking. I've never seen the need for either.

Hi Pink, yes I almost want to guess that my oven temp is off...it's an old stove. So, hmmm i'm thinking.... my kids always ask what I want for x-mas and I always say--oh nothing, nothing----
he,he icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

snocilla Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 6:12pm
post #16 of 17

Thank you all for the reponses... I will try the flower nail!

snocilla Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 3:26pm
post #17 of 17

I used the flower nail, and it turned out great! Thank you all!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%