What Do You Think The Best Method Would Be?

Decorating By kitty122000 Updated 23 Jun 2009 , 6:53pm by tracycakes

kitty122000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kitty122000 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 5:24pm
post #1 of 3

I'm pretty new to this and I'm having a lot of fun experimenting with new mediums. Last week I used gumpaste fo rthe first time and I feel I did pretty well with it. In a month my dad has a birthday and I wanted to attempt a "road of life" cake for him. So I've compiled a HUGE list of things I'd like to make into small figures to put on this cake but I'm not sure what the best medium so to speak would be to make these. here's a list of some on the things I'd like to make:
a bicycle, a snare drum, street signs with different names, a boat, a semi and a bunch of other things. what do you think the best thing do use to make these would be? I'm so new to this I'm not even sure I know all of my options. I know gumpaste would be good for some things, but I'm sure what my other options are. help please? I have a month until this will be needed but I'd like to practice and make sure things look great for this cake!

2 replies
beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 6:49pm
post #2 of 3

I suggest gumpaste, or 50/50 gumpaste/fondant. You can make them way ahead of time and they'll be fine!

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 6:53pm
post #3 of 3

ditto beachcakes. a 50/50 mix will give you plenty of work time but with the gumpaste it, it will dry harder and last better. Just protect from sun and dust. I usually keep mine in a cardboard box and I have things I made last September that look like they were made yesterday.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%