Cake Board Between Layers

Decorating By Lissydawn Updated 23 Jun 2009 , 8:20pm by Lissydawn

Lissydawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lissydawn Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 4:25pm
post #1 of 5

I am making a cake for a business's open house. It will be a white sheet cake with their logo cut out of cake, sitting on top of the sheet cake. The logo is in the shape of a key. here are my questions:

1. Should I have a cakeboard under the logo cake to sit on top of the sheet cake, or just do it without?

2. Would it be easier to decorate the cakes sperately then set one on top of the other, or decorate it all as one big cake?

3. If I do have a cake board under the logo cake, should I cut it to the same shape as the cake, or what do I do with the part of the board that does not have cake on it - just cover with icing?

4. If i do use a cake board, do I use cardboard, foamcore, plastic?

The cake will be iced in BC (no fondant as per client's request).

Sorry for all the questions, I am still pretty new at doing cakes, I have never used cake boards between cakes and I don't want to end up posting the finished cake in the cake disasters gallery icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks!

4 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 4:32pm
post #2 of 5

Hi, I would cut a thin cake board to the shape of the key. The boards I use are 4mm thick. You can use a formcore board as well. I think it will be much easier for you to cut the shape you want. I would ice them seperately and then stack then and do the decorations. Make sure to dowel the sheet cake. That is what I would do. Better safe than sorry! icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

Lissydawn Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 5:42pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you, I will do it that way! One more question, after I have iced both cakes, how do I get one on top of the other with out messing up the icing - do I just hold it from underneath (the cake board) and sort of drop it on, or is there a way to smooth out finger holes in the icing after i get it on?

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 5:50pm
post #4 of 5

First, ice the sheet cake. Then with key shaped board, mark out where it goes. Then Ice the key cake. After that insert the dowel ( or you can use bubble teastraws too), but don't push it all the way in. Then take the other cake using a big spatula, keep it on the dowels, so that the weight of the cake push the dowels itself into the cake. Here is a link that shows what I said and it will be more clear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHSzbG_y9JE&feature=channel_page

thumbs_up.gif

Lissydawn Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 8:20pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you all for your help!

The video was awsome, and I think is going to be very helpful once I am ready to get to the stacking part, plus I learned how to make some flowers!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%