Pricing

Business By MARIATAMIA Updated 24 Jun 2009 , 1:10pm by MARIATAMIA

MARIATAMIA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MARIATAMIA Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 4:03pm
post #1 of 5

Hi my CC buddies, I need help. I'm making my first paid cake this weekend. It's for a baby shower and is a 2 tiered 12" and 8" rounds, red velvet with probably chocolate ganache filling and buttercream frosting. Bottom tier to be decorated with basket weave top tier plain white with gumpaste decorations. What should I charge for this? I've never gotten paid for a cake before so I don't know what price to set. I told the customer that I would save all receipts for supplies and tally the total and go from there. Can you give me suggestions? icon_confused.gif

4 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 4:09pm
post #2 of 5

Most people charge per serving but it sounds like you are leaning towards charging for supplies. If charging per serving I would call around and see what the going rate is in your area.

MARIATAMIA Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 7:25pm
post #3 of 5

Well, she's going to be paying for the supplies as well as my work but I just didn't know how to charge. Thanks for your suggestion on calling around. I'm going to do that. thumbs_up.gif

Lil_Belle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lil_Belle Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 10:00pm
post #4 of 5

According to Wilton, the 8" cake serves 24 and the 12" serves 56 which would be 90. For basic buttercream (for me) that would be $270.00 ($3 a serving which is on the low end for where I live. Just a little question though, what gumpaste decorations? are they asking for them or are you wanting to include them? Depending on what they were I would charge accordingly; I've not really had to charge for them yet, but I was might do an hourly rate...not sure though (not had time to think it through icon_smile.gif).

Good luck icon_biggrin.gif

MARIATAMIA Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 1:10pm
post #5 of 5

Lil Belle,
They asked to have the gumpaste decorations. It's going to be 2 pairs of baby booties on top with baby blocks(these I might just buy) and then gumpaste baby clothes around the 8" cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%