Mmf Vs. Mff

Decorating By anricat Updated 25 Jun 2009 , 7:21pm by AKA_cupcakeshoppe

anricat Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 4:01pm
post #1 of 7

I've now made two different cakes with marshmallow fondant and no matter how gooey I left the fondant the night before, the next day, when I rolled it out, it seemed fine and the right consistency, then I get it on the cake and it starts cracking. Grrrr. I don't know if it's me or the nature of MMF. I was able to cover most of the cracks with decoration, so it worked out.

So, in looking for an alternative, I've seen a lot of people rave about Michele Foster's fondant and I was thinking of trying it for my next cake. But, my next cake is for my daughter's 1st birthday and I want it to be absolutely perfect! I'm a little worried about trying something new.

What do you think? Is MFF a better approach? Should I stick with the MMF and just leave it really really really gooey the night before?

6 replies
sadsmile Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 4:05pm
post #2 of 7

Are you kneading in the shortning? It doea need the shortning. I switched from MMF to MFF and I love the The MFF better and it doesn't get those air bubbles as much and is so smooth. You really should try it.

Larkin121 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 4:07pm
post #3 of 7

I asked a similar question awhile back...seems like some people have no issues with MMF and some do, with no real reason why.

I cannot get MMF to roll smooth for the life of me - I get pock marks everywhere. I can use it for figure molding and it's fine. So weird!

I have used MMF three times now. I really like it, it's very yummy and not hard to make. The one issue for me seems to be getting the exact measurements - there are 3 versions of the recipe on this site and I've tried 2 with neither being perfect. I have to tweak the amount of glycerine after the fact to get it right.

For me, the recipe with 2tbsp of butter, glycerin, etc, is the closest to perfect, but I end up adding quite a bit of glycerin in the next day by kneading it in. Without it I get tiny pock marks again. But when I have used the extra glycerin, it does roll perfectly smooth and covers perfectly.

I say try the MFF and see what you think. I think most end up preferring one or the other based on their experiences, so you won't know until you try!

kokopuff Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 4:19pm
post #4 of 7

Try Rhonda's Ultimate mmf it has a better consistancy than plain mmf and it taste a little better to me,but thats just my preferance.

dutchy1971 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 4:49pm
post #5 of 7

I tried the MFF and it tasted great but I had a hard time covering a cake with it ( think the house might have been too warm) I recently tried T's mff and I have to say super easy to make and rolled out perfectly I didn't even use my mat to pick it up to cover my cake, for the 1st time I picked it up with myhands to put it on the cake, absolutly no problems. Nice and smooth no cracks at all, probably the smoothest I've ever gotten fondant on a cake. I did prefer the MFF taste so I will probably try it again at some point.

anricat Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 6:14pm
post #6 of 7

UPDATE!

Well, I tried the MFF the other day and it worked out pretty well. I had a cake recipe I wanted to test out before making a full cake so I baked up a half recipe of cake and a half recipe of the fondant to try.

I added too much powdered sugar when I was making the MFF (I didn't even add all of it!) and so it was really dry the next day. I added a bunch of glycerin (note to self: need more glycerin) but that didn't help so I started adding shortening. Voila! That's all it needed. It rolled out nice and smooth and thin too! It wasn't sticky at all and I just plopped it right on the cake and it was great. It was smooth and silky. Love it!

It's both more work and less work than the MMF. There are more ingredients and you have to do more measuring, but the mixer does all the labor intensive parts and my kitchen counters are less sticky.

I'm a convert!

(Now to return the 4 bags of marshmallows I stocked up on back to the store...)

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 7:21pm
post #7 of 7

I guess use MFF to cover cakes and use MMF to make figures/accents and cover cakeboards. just so you can use up those marshmallows...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%